Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Downwind report

• AD
  • Topic Author

AD created the topic: Downwind report

Hey guys
I was just doing some practice questions and found the answer to a question a bit confusing. Here is the question:-
UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED, A DOWNWIND REPORT TO THE AIR TRAFFIC SERVICE IS MANDATORY AT
(a) all non towered aerodromes when joining a circuit
(b) all Class D control zones when departing the zone
(c) all Class C control zones at all times
(d) all control zones for arriving aircraft

I chose (a) as the answer but the book says (d). And the AIP isn't clear about this either. Also flying in and out of Essendon we don't do downwind report so that's why I thought (a) as the answer as it's more common on non towered aerodromes.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Downwind report

According to AIP ENR para 2.13.4, you should make a report when starting or entering the downwind leg unless ATC directs otherwise. Note that mention of ATC implies that you are in a control zone. In many cases, ATC will direct otherwise.

If you are at a non-controlled aerodrome (Class G), you should make a broadcast whenever it is reasonably necessary to avoid a collision. There is no specific requirement to report downwind at a non-controlled aerodrome. AIP ENR 1.1 page 53 Note 1

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Downwind report

Further to the above, CASA have just released a new CAAP 166-01 "Operations in the vicinity of non-controlled aerodromes". Check out the CASA web site.

www.casa.gov.au/files/166-1pdf?utm_sourc...EC%3DUNCLASSIFIED%5D

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds