Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

End of Daylight

• Capt Bigglesworth
  • Topic Author

Capt Bigglesworth created the topic: End of Daylight

I have a question about end of daylight and VFR. Is the legal requirement to land before EOD? or 10 minutes before EOD?

AIP (ENR 1.2 para 1.1.2 b) states that "A VFR flight must not depart from an aerodrome unless the ETA for the destination or alternate is at least 10 minutes before last light allowing for any required holding".

An ETA is an estimate, so if a VFR flight planned to arrive 10 mins before, but actually arrived 1 minute before, is that still legal? I cannot find any reference in the CAR's

I would be grateful for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: End of Daylight

The requirement in the AIP refers to flight planning. It is a requirement that the flight does not depart unless the flight plan indicates that the arrival will be at least 10 minutes before last light after allowing for holding. However, once the flight is in progress, if you are running behind the flight planned estimate, you haven't broken any rules as long a you are not in the air after last light. After all, there would be no point allowing for the 10 minute buffer if you were not allowed to use it!

• Capt Bigglesworth
  • Topic Author

Capt Bigglesworth replied the topic: End of Daylight

Thanks Bob. Is there a CAR or a CASR that actually states that VFR flights must end by last light? or not start before first light for that matter?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: End of Daylight

Try AIP ENR 1.2 Para 1.1.2

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds