Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Props included in Aero exam?

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa created the topic: Props included in Aero exam?

Hi guys,
Just studying for aero. I have been using ATC books and Bob's book and have learnt that the ATC book misses a lot of the syllabus and over emphasises unrelated bits that you don't need to know. In the ATC book there is a whole chapter dedicated to props - helix angle, CTM, windmilling, CSU, pitch, twist and angle and all that other good stuff. Only bits in bob's book on props is gyroscopic effect, thrust etc but no chapter focuses solely on props. Has anyone who sat the aero exam come across any questions on props which weren't covered in bob's book? Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Props included in Aero exam?

I did my Aero exam about a month ago and there was something to do with the effect of icing on the prop from memory. A lot of the questions were in regards to effect of weight on gliding distance, AOA of each wing in descending/climbing turns, effects of controls and devices (anti balance tabs and the likes), headwind and tailwind effects on AOC and ROC... there is so much in the syllabus I doubt you would get more than 2 or 3 questions on any one area.
cheers
Ben

• Neville75

Neville75 replied the topic: Props included in Aero exam?

Hi Jack.
All stuff Bungee mentioned would be well worth knowing. Also, don't forget wake separation, thrust/power/available/required graphs, stalling angle of attack etc. I found Bob's book prepared me well for the exam, therefore if I were you I would concentrate my propeller study on the areas you've identified.
Good luck
Nev

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa replied the topic: Props included in Aero exam?

Hey guys,
Thanks for the tips. Aero seems to trip up a lot of people - hopefully not me!

• Bungee

Bungee replied the topic: Props included in Aero exam?

Another tip from me. I made a paper aeroplane in the exam with the scribble paper and used it to give me a visual prop when trying to work out questions about control surfaces, AOA and the likes. I was nervous when I made it and thought the examiner may stop me but nothing was said...

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds