Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Endurance Question in the Actual Exam.

• jetstream
  • Topic Author

jetstream created the topic: Endurance Question in the Actual Exam.

I had my aerodynamic exam done last week, luck passed, the exam was harder than I expected, strong recommend those to read the question twice and make sure you fully understand the question before picking the answer !!!!! Tthere was a question i wasn't quite sure about endurance and hoping if anyone could give me some hints.

The question was asking about how should a turbocharge aircraft to achieve maximum endurance. And from memory I can choose from the following.

Flying High because less drag.
Flying low because less drag
Flying high because using less power
Flying low because using less power.

I know we need to use the min power for Max endurance because is using less fuel and fly in low
altitude in a non-turbocharge aircraft. But what about the Turbocharge aircraft ?
Is that still flying low altitude ?

Many Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Endurance Question in the Actual Exam.

Hi Jetstream,

The answer is (d) on this one. To fly for maximum endurance, you will need to fly using minimum power and therefore a slower speed. If you are slow you will need a high angle of attack to generate the lift required. At lower altitude the air is denser so the engine, prop and wings will be more effective so you will get the power you need to generate the lift required at a lower TAS.

So, for best endurance you want to be low and slow. This eliminates (a) and (c) as answers and we can eliminate (b) because the high angle of attack actually means we will be creating more drag.

Turbocharging is great for range since we can maintain power output to higher altitudes and cash in on the higher TAS for any IAS.

Cheers,

Rich

• jetstream
  • Topic Author

jetstream replied the topic: Endurance Question in the Actual Exam.

Thanks Richard :)

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds