Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed CADA yesterday

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH created the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

I passed Aerodynamics yesterday with 83% (home study) that's 4 down 3 to go. Met next.
I found this to be one of the most difficult so far. I was getting 90% on the practice exams and feel that I know the subject reasonably well, but it was the backwards way that CASA worded the questions. I'm sure they employed Yoda to write this one "wings we have, fly we must". Anyhow that's my whinge over.
Thanks Bob, your book definitely covered everything I needed to know.
One tip I have for anyone taking the exam, as soon as the exam starts write 1 to 40 down the side of your scribble pad. If there is a question you find hard to understand, don't waste your time, skip it and put a ? By that No. On your pad, complete all the questions that you're confident with. I did this and found that I had finished the exam with 45 mins to spare, plenty of time to go back and re visit the questions with a ? By them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH replied the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

P.s. looking at my KDR, one question that I may have gotten wrong went something like this;
You are conducting a glide approach as per the correct procedure in the aircrafts POH in nil wind conditions, and you feel that you are going to land short of the runway. Do you?
A. adjust your attitude nose up.
B. adjust your attitude nose down.
C. maintain your current attitude.

I chose (C), my reasoning was that if you were conducting the glide approach as per the correct POH procedure, you must be at best L/D ratio. Which would give best range. If you were to change the attitude in a glide, both speed and glide angle would change. This may increase endurance but not range. In nil wind conditions extra endurance would not help.
But now I'm second guessing my answer. Any ideas?

• sydpilot

sydpilot replied the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

Given how you've described the question, answer C is correct. The only way to recover from landing short would be to increase power. If this were a forced landing situation, you would have no option but to maintain the speed for best lift/drag ratio, the glide speed, to get the best range.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

NOW DON'T TAKE THIS TOO SERIOUSLY. I'm hoping this is not what the examiner intended, but here goes. The lift/drag ratio depends on the angle of attack not the IAS. The IAS to use for best lift/drag ratio depends on your current weight. The published best glide speed in the POH is valid for one weight only [max weight]. If you are below the max weight you should use a speed that is less than the published speed. The speed to use can be calculated by the follow formula.

Speed to use = Published speed x the square root of the current weight/maximum weight.

I really can't imagine a pilot who is about to fly through the downwind fence of a forced landing field making that calculation. Please God - don't let that be the justification for answer [a]!

• RobH
  • Topic Author

RobH replied the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure from the KDR's if I had this one right or not, they didn't mention weight at all. My guess is that it's a bit of a trick question. The way the question is worded makes you think that you should do something to prevent landing short, leading you to pick either A, or B, when in reality they are both wrong. They had me scratching my head.

• Tanser88

Tanser88 replied the topic: Passed CADA yesterday

Going by the description of that question. There's not enough info! It doesn't say whether you're doing a forced landing or not. i would go with option c as well! I'm doing mine this Wednesday the 19th November I hope I pass this one!

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds