Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Level flight at stalling speed

• Boeing737800
  • Topic Author

Boeing737800 created the topic: Level flight at stalling speed

HI,

My question related to in the Bob tait book study guide volume 1.

In excercise question A2 on lift on page 41 question 8 question is : level flight is not possible at speeds below the stalling speed because (I originally would have thought drag becomes greater than lift) however as per answers it is (maximum life available is less than weight) couldn't not be other one of these as correct?.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Level flight at stalling speed

At the level flight stalling speed, the lift required for level flight is no longer available. This is because at that speed, the stalling angle of attack is required to generate lift equal to weight. Any further increase in angle of attack results in LESS lift once the stalling angle is exceeded.

Lift can no longer support weight after the stall but but it would still be greater than drag at that point. It is not correct to say that, after the stall, lift is less than weight.

• Boeing737800
  • Topic Author

Boeing737800 replied the topic: Level flight at stalling speed

Hi Bob,

So in regards to the previous question do you mean to say that only after the stalling angle has been breached that lift would be less than drag however till that point it would be less than the weight?.

Sorry I just got little confused

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds