Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Few Questions

• 172_Freighter
  • Topic Author

172_Freighter created the topic: Few Questions

Gday all, Last exam - air law coming up soon!

(1) With regard P2.18 of the latest book, it says flight over water is permitted provided: "Aircraft is equipped with radio which will provide capability of contiuous comm's during overwater stage, or a/c carries survival beacon"

I cant find any reference for this requirement in AIP or CAR.

(2) For question 4 of Review questions - Set 2 I said that you must nominate a SARTIME (due to the requirement to do so in AIP ENR1.10-5 Para 2.11) however this answer proved incorrect.

(3) On page 2.25 it states VFR flights in class E do not require a clearance provided they are transponder equipped. I could not find a requirement for a transponder in ENR1.1 Para 17.

(4) Hypothetical question, off the top of my head the Class D VMC requirements are clear of cloud and 1600m vis. Is that to say that even if the ATIS is reporting 5000m vis you can be less than 1.6km latrally from cloud (of course this is unlikely in practice, but you know what the examiners are like)?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Few Questions

Hi 172,

I can't help with the others, but question 4 sounds more like special VFR VMC. In Class D you can be up to 600m horizontally from cloud regardless of vis (unless you have a special VFR clearance, then it's clear of cloud).

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Few Questions

Hi 172

Here are the references you are after...

Overwater Flights:
AIP ENR 1.1.62 (starting on page ENR 1.1-100) but this needs to be read in conjunction with CAO 20.11 specifically paras 5.1 and 5.2

Fight in Remote Area without an ELT:
Basically, you almost always need an ELT. If you don't have one you can't fly more than 50nm from the departure aerodrome. That is going to be the main restriction for this question. You'll find that requirement in CAR 252A and it also lists the exceptions to a requirement for an ELT: less than 50nm from departure point etc.

Transponders in Class E:
AIP GEN 1.5 6.1.4 (page AIP GEN 1.5-10)

Cloud Separation in Class D:
As Ellzy said, "clear of cloud and 1600m visibility" are Special VFR minima. In Class D airspace you actually need a minimum of 5000m visibility and cloud separation of 600m horizontally, 1000ft above and 500ft below cloud. You'll find these criteria in AIP ENR 1.2.

To answer your question though, if you did get a special VFR clearance in Class D, the vis and cloud clearance requirements would apply and they would be your minima even if the conditions were slightly better than that.

Cheers,

Rich

• 172_Freighter
  • Topic Author

172_Freighter replied the topic: Re: Few Questions

cheers for those references Richard!

Got another question now though :laugh:

This may be interpreted as a 'silly' question, as I seek clarification of the wording of CAO48.1.1.10

"Where a pilot has completed 2 consecutive tours of duty, the aggregate of which exceeds 8hours flight or 11 hours duty..."

Is that to say that if you do 2 consecutive tours of duty, call them A and B, and if the flight time of A + B > 8h or duty time A + B > 11h and your rest (in between) is less than that stipulated, then the 12/24 hours min rest periods apply?

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Few Questions

Only stupid if you don't ask!

1.10 Where a pilot has completed 2 consecutive tours of duty, the aggregate of
which exceeds 8 hours flight time or 11 hours duty time, and the intervening
rest period is less than:
(a) 12 consecutive hours embracing the hours between 10 pm and 6 am local
time; or
(b) 24 consecutive hours, if not embracing the hours between 10 pm and 6 am
local time;

So you're absolutely correct! If you can interpret these with no problems, then this part of the exam should be a shoe in :)

Keeping in mind it is 'open book' it is always good to check to make sure!

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds