Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 created the topic: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Good evening,

I sat for my Air Law today and unfortunately I didn't do well...
Just being able to score 75% but I remain positive as I always learn from my mistakes...

Just wanna ask some questions that appeared during my exam.

1. Transponder with Mode A and C. Which Class can be entered besides Class A if the aircraft is fitted with an engine driven electrical system capable of continuously powering a transponder.
A. Only Class C.
B. Class C, D and E.
C. Class C, D, G, and E.
D. Class C and E only.

2. Carriage of animals. This is regarding the carriage of handicapped people and dog can be inside the cabin. The dog should... (not sure why i got this wrong...)
I chose the one that said dog should be restrained and placed on a moisture absorbent mat.

I so confident it was right but I got it wrong. I noticed some other answers mentioned the dog should sit next to the owner (handicapped person). Also another answer mentioned that the dog should placed on a moisture absorbent mat.

3. Carriage of cargo. Can the cargo being put on the passenger seat.
A. Not allowed.
B. Allow but need to be restrained.
C. cannot remember
D. cannot remember

I put down A as I believe we are not allowed to put cargo on passenger unless we got CASA letter to say otherwise. But i got this wrong instead.

4. VFR tracking tolerances. What is the MINIMUM tracking tolerances from Class G away from Control Airspace if you travel A055.

A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5

I put down A but I got it wrong. (Now am sure the answer is C.)

5. Extract operational information from ERSA. Regarding Blackall (QLD). During taxi, you should...
A. Broadcast on 126.7
B. Broadcast 122.1
C. Report 126.7
D. Report 122.1

I chose Broadcast on 126.7 but I got it wrong as I thought it was CTAF area. ( Now am sure the answer is Report 122.1)

6. Airspace requirements and procedures.
You are cruising from A060 and ATC ask you to descent to A040. What report should you say to ATC.
A. Left six thousand and maintaining four thousand.
B. Left six thousand and reaching four thousand.
C. cannot remember
D. cannot remember

I chose A but i got this wrong. Any tips for this?

7. Maintenance by pilots. As a pilot, maintenance can be carried out?
A. cannot remember
B. With the supervision of LAME
C. cannot remember
D. With maintenance company.
I chose D but i got this wrong.

Just wanna ask where I can find the info for this. Is this from the Schedule 5 and Schedule 8. It's kinda difficult for me as the word doesn't appear straight from the book to the exam as CASA like to use simple wording which can be very tricky to me.

Looking forward to hear feedback from you guys. Thank you.

Regards,
Pilot_5100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Neville75

Neville75 replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Hi Pilot5100.
I'm down for air law in a couple of weeks, don't have my references with me to confirm, but off the top of my head my thoughts are:

Q1 - my guess is c, class C,D,E,G. vfr is not permitted in class A,

Q2 - think it's car256A, on a mat, restrained and near the person can be in the cabin. (i got the same q wrong on ppl exam - the 2 answers must be very similar. It might be a case of not reading the question fully?

Q3 see CAO 20.16? on seat is ok, if restrained and less than 77kg.

Q4 there is a table in aip enr 1.1, up to 2000agl is 1 mile, 2000-5000agl 2 mile etc.

Q5 see ersa for freq, for vfr we mostly give broadcasts, not reports eg car166, if no discrete ctaf freq, generally use 126.7, haven't checked ersa but guessing blackall is out bush in the sticks, I'd guess A. - broadcast on 126.7?

Q6 AIP has info on cta changing levels, if you were at 6000 asked to descend to 4000, you wouldn't say maintaining 4000 unless you were there, so B, descending 6000 for 4000. I always try to relate this stuff to your practical flying, eg departure calls you would often say passing through 1500 climbing 4500, so no confusion of what your intentions are.

Q7 CAR 42zc has stuff on pilot maint, referring to sch 8. Pilot approved maint, eg tyre, tube, plugs, air filter, oil, bulbs etc. sch 5 is items required on a daily inspection ie preflight first flight of day (obviously pilots can do this too)

I'm sure others will contribute and make suggestions too, hope I haven't led you astray, I will soon find out myself in a fortnight. Thanks for the post, certainly helps with the preparation.
Cheers
Neville

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Allo...

Thank you so much for your information.

I need to read more regarding the Mode A and Mode C transponder from the AIP.

Regarding bring the dog to the aircraft, I might didn't read the question properly. But most of the answers appeared were the same.

Have read regarding putting the cargo on the passenger seat. We are allowed to do so as long as it is less than 77kg and have to restrained it OR might take more than 77kg depending on the aircraft POH.

Regarding the tolerances from Class G and controlled airspace. I am sure the answer is 4nm (AIP) if we are cruising on A055. I chose 2nm that day and i got it wrong.

For the Blackall, I did chose broadcasting 126.7 as i knew it is CTAF area. But it wasn't correct. I study it yesterday and found out that ATS service for taxiing is 122.1, but not sure whether i need to report or broadcasting. I just need someone to explain more about this.

For the maintenance part, they didnt ask whether pilot can change tyre and so on but they just asked regarding who's responsible for the maintenance with the pilot. whether with the supervision of LAME or whether with the supervision of an authorised maintenance company.

Tips...
Bob Tait exercises really helped me a lot. But I need to do more research and study for my second attempt.

Thank you for your help Neville75.

Regards,
pilot_5100

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Excellent answers Neville, well done.

Here are some of those references:

Q2: Animals: CAR 256A (2)

Q3: Cargo on Seats: CAO 20.16.2

Q4: AIP ENR 1.1 19.12 which relates to tolerances you must consider in your route if planning to avoid controlled airspace while within Class G or VFR in Class E. For A055 you will need a tolerance of 4nm (5nm at night)

Q5: Neville got it - broadcast on 126.7 which is the CTAF frequency for Blackall

Q7. I'm not sure I follow the question you are trying to remember but in any case it is the pilot who is responsible for any work done on the aircraft as long as the work done is listed in Schedule 8. If it isn't in Schedule 8, a LAME needs to take responsibility for it.

Good luck with your exams both of you!

Cheers,

Rich

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your respond.

For Q5... I chose broadcast 126.7 for Blackall but I got wrong as it appear from my KDR.

Thanks.

• Richard

Hmmm. well that is surprising. If you check the ERSA you wil see that Brisbane Centre on 122.1 is only available from 6000ft. The question says you are taxiing at Blackall so as far as I can tell, you would be better off using 126.7 and broadcasting on the CTAF. Of course, using HF would also be an option but that wasn't in the answers. Is it possible you might have misremembered the question?

Cheers,

Rich

• Madox01

Madox01 replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Just from my understanding just to be sure that i understand transponders:

Mode 3A is used when given a squawk, Mode C works in conjunction with Mode 3A showing the Code and the Present Altitude

Mode S corresponds to the aircraft identification given in the notification and has many other function like TCAS, instructions given to Ground Vehicles??

Im not sure if i am understanding transponders as well as i should be. Besides the information given in the AIP ENR 1.6 para 7.1 to para 7.1.13 is there any other references that i should be aware of?

Lastly i would just like to know whether the exam requires in depth knowledge of this particular system, which i may not be aware of?

• Richard

Hi Madox,

That is correct:

Mode 3A: delivers a 4 digit octal code (i.e. it is a base-8 numeric code where each digit is between 0 and 7).
Mode 3C (or "mode charlie"): delivers pressure altitude information via an alitude encoder and is combined with mode A to give the combination of identification and altitude information.
Mode S (oe Selective): provides the capabilities of the others but is much more powerful. It is a more stable data transfer protocol and each aircraft is registered with a unique ICAO 24-bit address code. Mode S also works off direct interrogation (rather than broadcast interrogation as with the usual Mode S/Mode C system) which reduces workload on the units.

Apart from those references you should also be familiar with AIP GEN 1.5 para 6.1 - 6.2. They cover transponder requirements and exemptions.

As for in depth knowledge, no, you will not be required to have in depth technical knowledge of the systems but a general understanding of the principles can only help. The air law exam is testing your knowledge of the legal requirements of their operation and not the technical details. That would come more under AGK.

Cheers,

Rich

• rl_referre

rl_referre replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

Hi guys,
Just sat my air law exam first attempt today and got 100%!!
Things to look out for;
Flight and duty time, make sure you know definitions of duty time and all the other ones in CAO 48. There were plenty of scenario questions so make sure your confident with duty time or don't do the exam! For me there was about 6 questions and they were quite difficult!
Flights over water and what applies to different categories, chtr, awk, pvt etc.
Transponder codes and modes.
Maintenance performed by pilots for Class B aircraft CAR section 4.
Radio requirements.
PRD section of the ERSA
Maintaining VMC
TAF reading and OPR requirements AIP ENR
CTAF procedures
Carriage of animals CAR section 3
Definitions of Private ops, Charter, Arial work and RPT

There were some trick questions and wording was better then expected compared to some other commercial subjects like Human Performance.
All I did for study was Bob's prac exams through website and his Theory text. Thanks Bob for your awesome books, every exam thus far in the 90s!!

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CASA Air Law Exam July 2012

WOW - 100%!!

Who's a clever boy then! Well done mate, congratulations on a wonderful pass.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds