Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

A few questions

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier created the topic: A few questions

Dear All,

Can someone help me with a couple of queries?

1. In Bob's CPL Air Law Book, pg 2.49 q 11, a question is asked about requirements for special vfr in Class D, referencing AIP ENR 1.2 para 1.2.2 (b)(1).

That para says that SVFR may be conducted clear of cloud and with visibility not less than 1600m for aeroplanes. Later, In 1.2.2.3 (ENR 1.2-3), it says that in class D, "atc may permit operations that do not meet the class D criteria (special VFR)"

The q in Bob's book gives, as the correct answer ( D) , that operations may be carried out with 3000m viz and clear of cloud.

Could someone let me know where I have gone wrong, since I thought the correct answer would be (B) "Clear of cloud and 1600m viz.

2. I am a bit confused by the wording of AIP ENR 1.2 para 2.5. 3. The text says that aeroplanes may fly clear of cloud and in sight of ground or water with viz of 5000m "at or below- whichever is the higher - of 3000ft amsl or 1000AGL.

Say, hypothetically, you were over Kosciuszko (say 7200 ft) at 8200 feet (1000AGL). Does this mean that you count the 8200 altitude as the higher than the 3000AMSL requirement or the 1000AGL? to allow you to "fly clear of cloud and in sight of ground or water with viz of 5000m"

This query relates to q31 on page 2.51 of Bob's CPL book.

3. My 2nd last question concerns the class of airspace that does not require an airways clearance. On pg 2.28, q1 it is given. as the correct answer, as class D vs A, B and C (incidentally, what happened to poor old class B?) I may be misunderstanding AIP ENR 1.4.4 (AIP 1.4 - 8) that says that flight therein is subject to ATC clearance. Is my suspicion that an ATC clearance is different to an airways clearance correct?

Lastly,(a two part q)

a) is a departure report required for a VFR flight leaving a class D airport such as Coff's Harbour, or only for IFR?
b) could someone possibly point out the AIp for the required departure report for a departure report from a non-towered aerodrome.

Many thanks for any responses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: A few questions

Pannier

Question 11 on Page 2.49 has been amended in the next print. It is a change that was missed in the last print. The answer is 'clear of cloud and 1600m vis'. I have changed the answer [d] from 3000m [the old answer] to 1600m, the latest AIP amendment. I will shortly be putting the latest amendments on the web page for download.

The 'clear of cloud' rule for VMC in class G applies to any radio-equipped aircraft operating below 3000 AMSL or 1000 AGL. So it is true that you could operate clear of cloud as long as you were within 1000 AGL of Mt Kosciuszko!

The table on AIP ENR 1.1 page 46 gives the broadcasts required at non-towered airports. The only requirement is to make a broadcast whenever the pilot deems it necessary to avoid traffic conflict. See Note 1. So there is really no specific requirement to make a 'formal' departure broadcast - although most training organisations would encourage it.

A VFR aircraft departing a class D CTR into class G airspace is not required to make a departure report, although it would be normal for the tower to ask for a report at place or distance to confirm you are clear of the boundary of the CTR.

A VFR aircraft must be cleared to operate in a class D CTR, however the tower's acknowledgment of receipt of your intentions before operating in class D airspace may be taken as approval for the stated operation. That is not an 'airways clearance' in the normal sense of the term.

I'd be interested to hear any other interpretations on this.

Bob

• pannier
  • Topic Author

pannier replied the topic: Re: A few questions

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for that response.

Best wishes

George

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds