Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× This is the forum where our students can discuss things relating to their studies or experiences they have had while studying Bob's courses. Please keep it clean, professional and of course entertaining!

Aviation Careers

• PeterG
  • Topic Author

PeterG created the topic: Aviation Careers

Hi all,

I have a question to anybody who may know, know a little or would like to know.
As readers of this forum may know I am a student pilot currently heading for my PPL. I am doing my training with Bruce Hartwig at Parafield in SA. Prior to flight training, I was of the belief that I would enjoy it. Since going solo even just circuits I discovered the passion of flying grabs hold so quickly and strongly that I want to do this as a job. I haven't even flown out to the training area on my own yet comparing flying to my current day job of boilermaking there is no comparison.
The question, As a mature age student pilot as is the case of many other student pilots or mature qualified pilots either PPL or CPL, what realistic prospects is there for us 'oldies' aquiring flying employment either with an employer or self-employed?
During my training, I have noticed a possible market yet to develop it would take considerble time, effort and of course capital. That is dependent on its feasibility.
I am of the current opinion that if there is only a slight chance of gaining work as a pilot, even weekend work just to pay for it, it will be worth the time, effort and expense of gaining the CPL. I understand that RPT is a definate out and though flying big jets would be awesome, GA to me is where the adventure is.
Maybe here, an open discussion of the possibilities and issues surrounding this subject can be aired (excuse the pun). Can I assume, there are many others thinking the same?

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mrchavez

mrchavez replied the topic: Re: Aviation Careers

The question, As a mature age student pilot as is the case of many other student pilots or mature qualified pilots either PPL or CPL, what realistic prospects is there for us 'oldies' aquiring flying employment either with an employer or self-employed?

As a PPL holder I have asked myself this question many times. I'm 32yo and feel I may be a bit "over the hill" to have aviation as a genuine full time occupation. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone in a similar situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds