Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

IREX, SARwatch at CTR D aerodrome

• chopstick0407
  • Topic Author

chopstick0407 created the topic: IREX, SARwatch at CTR D aerodrome

Hello all the Aviators with Bob Tait, or anyone who is studying IREX at the moment, I have the following question from
the Study Guide Chap 7. under General Qs (question 9) which is giving the answer which I can't seem to understand.

Can anyone help me?

(Question No 9 Chapter 7)
For an IFR flight landing at an airport in a Class D CTR SAR watch is cancelled-

a) Automatically when the aircraft lands
b) By the pilot giving a landing report
c) By the pilot giving a "cancel sarwatch" report after landing

I thought it was C but the answer indicates A.

Someone please help...pleaseeeesssssese :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: IREX, SARwatch at CTR D aerodrome

Gidday Chopstick,

People often confuse SARTIME with SARWATCH. There is no such thing as SARTIME for an IFR flight. The only exception being a SARTIME for departure which is limited to 30 minutes after your ETD and is only available if radio contact cannot be made while taxiing.

Apart from that, the SARWATCH for an IFR flight is handled by the ATS unit you are currently communicating with. Each time you are told to contact another ATS unit, that unit takes over the responsibility for your SARWATCH. Therefore, if you land at any towered aerodrome, C or D, there is never any need to say 'cancel SAR' because the tower just saw you land and he/she is responsible for your SARWATCH. So your SAR is automatically cancelled by the tower when you land and you never need to cancel SAR at any towered aerodrome.

At a non-towered aerodrome however, an IFR flight must cancel SAR with the ATS unit either in the circuit or on the ground after landing. Note that you are not canceling a SARTIME, you are canceling your SARWATCH. The ATS unit will respond with the phrase 'SARWATCH terminated.' If you call again taxiing for departure, your SARWATCH is automatically activated once more.

A VFR flight is different. If you have nominated a SARTIME for a VFR flight, the ATS unit has no idea whether or not you have done so. CENSAR in responsible for your SARTIME and you must specifically request that it be cancelled after landing at ANY aerodrome.

• chopstick0407
  • Topic Author

chopstick0407 replied the topic: Re: IREX, SARwatch at CTR D aerodrome

Thank you Bob, that clears things up for me. I'm sitting my IREX in 10 days time.
I've studied all of your texts for CPL and I'm on to IREX now, you have been a massive help for me.
Thank you again, I'll keep onboard here on the online forum if anything comes up in the future!

Chopstick0407

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds