Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

• macedonranges
  • Topic Author

macedonranges created the topic: converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

Hi all
This is my first post and would appreciate input.
I have been flying RA for the past couple of years and have decided that I would like to go GA PPL and maybe eventually CPL. Main reasons for going down the GA line is to be able to do more ratings including night and IFR.
Talking to my GA instructors I am going to have to resit all the BAK exams and then the PPL exams.. but I was reading somewhere ?? that I maybe able to go straight to the CPL exams and then have 3 years to complete the flying hours to qualify for the flight test.
As I have already completed 270 hrs of RA flying I would have to go down the line of the 200 hrs CL but credit of 100 hours from my RA flying.
Can anyone please advise if I can sit the CPL exams or do I have to go PPL and then later sit the CPL exams ??
cheers
ROB :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

You don't necessarily have to sit the PPL, but you must at least pass the BAK exam to be permitted to sit the CPL exams.

• macedonranges
  • Topic Author

macedonranges replied the topic: converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

Thanks Bob
I have just checked with CASA and they will give me credit for the BAK from the RA training - so that is good.
My only problem I can see is that if I don't do the PPL then I would not be able to fly solo will training under the CPL - ?? would that be correct ?-- therefore I would not be able to accumulate the necessary 100 GA hours I need to complete the CPL. ... If I understand that correctly .
Otherwise I was thinking I can study up and then sit the PPL and then immediately go onto studying each unit of the CPL and take them over the next 2 years will accumulating the GA hours for the CPL .. while at the same time doing night VFR and IFR training .
Am I am biting off too much with this plan !!!
thoughts appreciated :)
cheers
ROB

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

Hi Rob,
Have you sat down and had a chat with the CFI about your plans and goals. It could give you a few options to consider and better structure your training. It might even save you a few dollars. If you're planning on doing a NVFR or CIR, you will need a PPL as a minimum to qualify for the flight test.

The only disadvantage to not doing the PPL is it will place the same flight time restrictions of an SPL on you. I used to teach fulltime international students who were bypassing the GFPT, PPL and going straight for CPL theory after BAK to save money. Nothing wrong with doing the theory that way, but it did place considerable hour restrictions on their solo flying. It didn't take long before they started getting PPLs and were able to fly longer, more meaningful flights. Overnight trips to Sydney or Adelaide for instance. Some of them even did their NVFR and got some real good night experience instead of just flying around the circuit for 5 hours to get the required night PIC for the CIR.

Food for thought.

Good luck with your training. Talk to your CFI and build those command hours wisely.

Cheers,
Mister W.

• macedonranges
  • Topic Author

macedonranges replied the topic: converting from RA to PPL to maybe CPL

Thanks Mister W
great advice - and yes I did speak to the school and CFI and they said pretty much what you said.
While I have already done some great cross country flights with our RA plane to Wilpena Pound, Broken Hill, White Cliffs and Kangaroo Island going GA with a PPL will open up more coastal routes and I am looking forward to doing the top end once the PPL is finished so then I can get the command hours and more onto the CPL study.
cheers
ROB

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds