Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

• DaVeHU
  • Topic Author

DaVeHU created the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Hi Bob and Richard,

I moved to Oz recently, and as I have a Hungarian (EASA) CPL, I started working on my overseas conversion. I just finished the Human Performance using your book, which was a great help to prepare myself (not to mention the online preparation tests). :)

After finishing the CHUF, I started to prepare for COSA exam, I'm using your CPL Air Law as I've been read that the topic covered by your book will match the COSA syllabus. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything online about the requirements during the Overseas Conversion exam. Do you have any experience/advice with the requirements for the COSA exam which could be shared here?

Also, checking the required/allowed materials for the exam I found the following:
  • CAR 1988
  • CASR Part 61
  • CAO 20-95.2
  • AIP Book
  • ERSA complete
  • AUS PCA
  • ERC LOW 1/2 and 3/4 only (2 ERC Lows)
  • Hobart/Launceston VTC
  • Brisbane-Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast VTC

• I already ordered the ones in italic, however I found that the CAR/CASR/CAO would be pricey, and most probably I would use those only during the exam (outside the exam I will use the online access and OzRunways :) ). Do you know if there is any place around Sydney where I could borrow those books for a couple of weeks? (Or, as I found on CASA website, I can print these but that would still cost a small fortune, so I'd prefer borrowing).

Thank you for all the help!

Regards,
    David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

We have prepared an extract of the CAOs, CARs and CASRs that are relevant to the CPL Air Law exam. This is a much more economical alternative to buying the full CASA documents, 90% of the content of those documents is not required in the CPL examination anyway. CASA has permitted our extracts to be taken into the exam providing they are printed and bound. The extracts are available as a pdf file on request to Lee at our office This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. It is up to you to have them printed and bound but they may be taken into the exam and will replace the full volumes of CAO, CAR and CASR.

• DaVeHU
    • Topic Author

DaVeHU replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your quick reply! I'll definitely write to you for the extracts, sounds great if I don't have to print/bring 1500 pages with me :)

Regarding the other question, does the CPL Air Law book cover the COSA topics? (Also I noted that I'll need maps, but no plotter is allowed -> does it means that I'll need the maps only for reference?).

Thank you and have a great evening,
    David

• DaVeHU
    • Topic Author

Hi Guys,

Happy days! I just passed the COSA exam with 93% using your Air Law book and online exam prep (and the CAR and CAO extracts you sent me). I'd like to thank you for these invaluable materials! Now I'll move on to the practical, hope it'll go well.

Regarding the syllabus: I think the COSA (CPL Overseas Conversion) exam was like the Air Law exam: I've got a couple of questions regarding the flight-time and tour of duty regulations, minimum altitudes, VMC conditions and VFR cruising altitudes, flight over water, carrying children on board (be aware of the 77kg/2 children limit for seat sharing!), alternate and holding requirements, etc... So nothing that not been covered by the book.

Cheers,
    David

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

That's great news David, congratulations - what a great mark as well!! All the best with the remainder of your conversion. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Bob

• prazflyer

prazflyer replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Dear David congratulations for such a good result. I am also trying to convert my license and passed CHUF exam. Now I am preparing for COSA. I would like to find out where did you bought those materials in italic and how much did it cost? How much essential is all these materials in exam? And above all is the exam all about air law or do they ask some other subjects also?

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks
    Prajwal

• DaVeHU
    • Topic Author

Hi Prajwal,

I ordered those items from Airservices Australia (www.airservicesaustralia.com/), I thought it's a good idea to have those on the shelf (or with me in the plane). The cost depends on exactly what do you order, and more importantly, if you get the 12 mths amandement service. (which may be needed if you are flying). Log in to the online shop and you'll se the exact pricing. (I think there is also a couple of Pilot Shops around the big airports/flying schools, so you may get those there to save on the shipping costs).

Good luck with your exam!

David

• Hollywoodpops

Hollywoodpops replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Dear David

I'm in the same process of converting my Comercial licence., I'm from south America Argentina and is getting really difficult to my the studys due to the language., but I will do it.
    I have a couple of questions probably you will be able to help me.
    Would you give me your number?
    This is mine
    I hope we can make contact
    The force be with you.

• prazflyer

prazflyer replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Dear Bob,

I have one question. In the CASA exam do they provide us the reference for each question? Or should we know where is the question from eg AIP, CAO,CAR, CASR.

THANKS
    Prajwal.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: COSA (Overseas Conversion) syllabus and materials

Hi Prajwal,
    No, the references are not provided in the exam. You will be expected to know where to find the regulations to answer the questions.
    Cheers,
    Rich

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds