Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Navigation and wind

• filhere
  • Topic Author

filhere created the topic: Navigation and wind

Hello. I am having trouble obtaining accurate wind forecast information. I am using the grid point wind and temp on the BOM web site, but it is missing any information for low altitudes around Melbourne and the numbers it does shows seem to differ from what I observe when flying. Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Navigation and wind

G'day filhere

The only thing I would suggest is to contact the Bureau and see what they say, personally I think the GPWT is the most useless operational chart, your better off guessing.

If you get a response from the bureau let us know what they say

Cheers

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Navigation and wind

The GPWT chart is so ridiculous as to be operationally useless. I'd like CASA or BOM to give me a demo of how you are supposed to use it to get a sensible wind to apply in practice.

The heights given are pressure heights they do not correspond to any VFR cruising level and only apply to the centre point of each grid.

Thank goodness for flight planning software!!

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds