Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

LSALT

• WilderBeast
  • Topic Author

WilderBeast created the topic: LSALT

Hi, I have a Lsalt question which came during the exam but I've got it wrong

Track guidance is provided by VOR at departure point, the tolerance area for calculating LSALT is determined by drawing lines from the dep point at an angle on either side of the planned track. If the destination is 150nm away, does not have radio nav aids, the maximum distance from the track to which these lines should extend is approximately
1- 50nm
2-37nm
I'm confused between option 1 & 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: LSALT

I believe the answer is in GEN 3.3-7 para. 4.6. 50nm

However, I could be wrong as proven many times by tricky questions challenging language skills, rather than navigational/piloting skills.

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: LSALT

Neither answer is correct - hence the confusion! See diagram below.

Attachments:

• WilderBeast
  • Topic Author

WilderBeast replied the topic: LSALT

Yes but that wasn't any of the options listed
A- 37
B- 50
C- 13
D- 20

• Thank you received: 15

Bosi72 replied the topic: LSALT

The catch word in the question is "approximately".. so the answer is probably the closest one to 25.75+5..

• Carello

Carello replied the topic: LSALT

Track guidance is provided by VOR at departure point, the tolerance area for calculating LSALT is determined by drawing lines from the dep point at an angle on either side of the planned track. If the destination is 150nm away, does not have radio nav aids, the maximum distance from the track to which these lines should extend is approximately

This question is ambiguous and badly worded.
  • In the context of GEN 3.3-7 para. 4.6, the max distance from track is 50 nm - it is not an approximation!
  • In the context of the destination being 150 nm from the VOR, the max distance from track is 25.75 nm

Now that you have provided all the given answers, the only one that fits is 50 nm. That being said, 50 nm is not an approximation, and is not relevant to the destination being 150 nm from the departure VOR.

In my book, none of the answers provided are correct - hence the confusion. The person that wrote the question is probably looking for 50nm.

G'day Bosi72

I don't think the 5nm buffer is relevant to the question. We are, "drawing lines from the VOR at an angle on either side of the planned track". The question then asks for, "the maximum distance from the track to which these lines should extend". The 5 nm buffer is not included.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds