Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

• Don
  • Topic Author

Don created the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

I bought Bob taits IREX practice exam and I have the below question wrong.

"The pilot of a PVT IFR flight with passengers wishes to fly the last route segment under NGT VFR flight procedures. The least recent experience requirements, other than flight tests, required for this segment are -"
My answer was - a NGT VFR flight of one-hour duration in the preceding 12 months, and one take-off and landing at night in the preceding 6 months

The correct answer is according to the CASR 61.395 (2) - 3 take-offs, 3landings at night in the previous 90 days.
Can you please explain the difference between CASR 61.395 (2) and CASR 61.965 (a) (where I took my answer)

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Don
  • Topic Author

Don replied the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

Can you please help me on this?

Thank you

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

You will find that 61.965 is referring to a solo flight without passengers. But 61.395 is referring to carrying one or more passengers.
So you only need one take-off/landing in the last 6 months if you are going to fly solo. But, if you intend to carry passengers, you need three take-offs/landings in the last 90 days.

If you haven't flown at night at all in the last six months and you wish to carry passengers tonight, you would have to do three take-offs and landings solo, then you could taxi in and take the passengers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don

• Sofeopka

Sofeopka replied the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

Thanks for your reply Bob, and to the original poster. I was also perplexed by this question.

So, the three take-offs and landings don’t need to be at night? Even though 61.395 (2) states they must be at night…?

If they don’t need to be at night, is that because as a holder of a CIR it’s a given that this ‘skill’ would be satisfied. However wouldn’t that require that we are ‘assuming’ that the Pilot of the PVT IFR flight does hold a CIR, as if they didn’t they wouldn’t be conducting an IFR flight?

The correct exam answer didn’t seem to specify that they had to be at night.

Screenshot attached.

Thanking you in advance and looking forward to your replies.
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

The three take-offs and landings certainly must be done at night. That's the whole idea. However if you hold an instrument rating, you do not have to do the one hour at night in the last 90 days. CASR Part 61.395(2).

• Sofeopka

Sofeopka replied the topic: NIGHT VFR-RECENT EXPERIENCE

Thank you Bob. I appreciate that.

So out of the available answers, the option that mentions three takes offs and landings, but not specifying at night, is the correct option? Is that right?

Thank you again, sorry if I’m having a brain fade on this one.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds