Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Air Masses and Fronts

• aviatrix
  • Topic Author

aviatrix created the topic: Air Masses and Fronts

Hi Everyone,
Im just trying to understand this phrase
"In Simplified view of global circulation, the polar front can be though of as the demarcation between the cold air and the polar cell and the warmer air of the sub-tropical cell."
I do understand that a polar front is a boundary between the polar cell and the fer ell cell according to google definitions, but I just need someone to explain it to me in more detail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Air Masses and Fronts

The air that circulates within the Polar Cell sinks at the pole and rises, to return before it gets too far from the pole. The air in this cell stays relatively close to the pole so it remains cold. On the other hand, the air in the mid-latitude (Ferrel) cell circulates in a band of latitude that is much further away from the pole so it remains warmer. The boundary between these two cells is the polar front. It is not static but dynamic, constantly advancing and retreating and giving rise to cold and warm fronts associated with the boundary.

Attachments:

• aviatrix
  • Topic Author

aviatrix replied the topic: Air Masses and Fronts

Thank You so much sir.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds