Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

TAF UTC to EST time converstion and validity period

• Chris71jones
  • Topic Author

Chris71jones created the topic: TAF UTC to EST time converstion and validity period

HI everyone i am currently having a real battle getting my head around the whole UTC EST time conversation.
I understand the Zones EST and that and i also understand the whole UTC meaning and why its used. (well I'm pretty sure i do anyway that maybe the issue right there)
When i have the most trouble is when it comes to the converting times for say a TAF that cross into the next day see eg below
TAF YWYY 101845Z 1020/1108 2500KT 9000 ill leave out the rest as the time is the relevant part in this case. ( P 138 Bob Taits CPL Met theory book )
So to me validity time decoding would go something like this.
TAF valid from the 20th hour on the 10th day of the month to the 8th hour on the 11th day of the month UTC ( 12hr )
now this is where i am stuck
To me this converts to the 6th hour on the 11th day and the 18th hour also on the 11th day.
Is this right????
Its just one of those things that I cant seam to grasp and I know its probably so simple

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: TAF UTC to EST time converstion and validity period

I encourage students to draw a diagram. Turn your page sideways and use the blue lines as hour markers.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris71jones

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds