Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CPL Nav Fail

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

danparker86 replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Well done mate that is so good to hear you passed I'm very happy for you!

I really struggled with the lat and long questions, what did you come across with those? I don't think my understanding of lat and long is very good but I've exhausted the book and also wikipedia and I'm having difficulty understanding rhumb lines and great circle principles and also the questions on which direction etc the aircraft is traveling if it is going from one point to another etc...

Any pointers or heads up would be of great help 6 days to exam so I'm open to any tutoring :)

Cheers

-Dan Parker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Dan

The good news is that the CASA exam is not likely to have many questions on those topics. It isn't possible to give you a presentation on rhumb lines etc. in a forum like this, however if you can find some specific questions that have you stumped, just post them here and I'd be glad to give you a detailed answer to a specific question.

Bob

• simsim

simsim replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Dan,

The Latitude and Longitude questions i got were not related to rhumb or great circle line, they were more like general stuff, for example:

One question was like I Have 1 town at latitude south 21 and other at south 24 what is the distance between the two, so obviously 1 latitude has 60 nm, therefore distance is 180 nm.

Second question I had was a town on Latitude North 15 and Longitude E 150 and second town was Latitude South 15 and longitude E150, what is the angle of travel between the two towns.

Unfortunately that’s all I can remember out of the 4 questions given to me in exam about longitude and latitude, but just a rough idea what you can expect.
expect.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Your first question would also have to mention that both towns are on the same meridian of longitude. In that case, the distance between them would be 180nm. If they were on different meridians, the calculation of distance between them would be a lot more complicated and involve spherical geometry. I'm sure such a question would not appear an a CPL navigation exam. [Your GPS works it out in a millisecond!].

The second question does say the two towns are on the same meridian [150°E]. Therefore if you traveled between them you would be traveling along a meridian. All meridians run true north to true south. In this case, you would be traveling due south. 180°T.

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

Hi guys,

Yes these are the types of questions I am referring to.

The second one in your example in particular stands out to me as confusing how am I supposed to acquire that answer? Do I physically get the map out and draw a line? If there is any more information available about lat and long directions and rhumb lines and great circles I would appreciate any help as my exam is in 5 days. Also with ADF direction if for example if I have 5 deg left drift then would that leave 5 deg left of 360r as in 355 to? And 175 from? Or say I had 12deg left drift would that be 348r to and 168r from?

You guys have all been so helpful I truly wish I could come up there and do your classes it's great to have people to help me out I don't feel so lost anymore and uncertain of my knowledge thanks alot!!

Cheers

-Dan Parker

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

Hi guys,

I'm a bit stumped again...

Here's the one that got me on last practice exam

You are at 4500ft in cta and wish to climb to 9000ft under the protection of cta.
What is the minimum rate of climb required to stay in cta?

My working was this (under the impression you needed to be above 500ft to be in cta.

6500ft -4500ft = 2000ft
2000ft \ 10nm = 200fpm

I got it wrong.

After reading the book I read something about needing to be 1000ft above the lower limit of cta?
When I returned and tried my working again I got this

10nm @ 120kts = 5mins
2500 / 5 = 500fpm

Obviously I've totally confused my working out process somewhere now I don't know what answers were in that exam so I would like someone to clarify what is the correct method of working out for calculating climb in cta or octa.

Thanks alot guys!

-Dan Parker

• simsim

simsim replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Hey Dan

work out should be as follow's:

6500-4500 = 2000 feet
120 kts @ 10 nm = 5 min

2000/5=400 ft/min
CTA clearnce is 500' above the step

• danparker86
  • Topic Author

Hey mate,

I see so the method is to work out clearance above first step then distance over time and divide the time by the clearance required.

So if it was 3000' required in 15nm the working would be

120 @ 15nm = 7.5min

3000' / 7.5 = 400fpm

Thanks mate you've been most helpful!

-Dan Parker

• brook

brook replied the topic: Re: CPL Nav Fail

Thanks SimSim!

Your feedback is much appreciated. I have the exam on Monday! Have to say for a guy like me its a tough one, I have struggled my way through this one (Nav). It could be partially due to the way I learn but I have some if not most of the information down pat, but its the trick questions (some of them in the BT Cyber exams which is good) also making sure you take the time to read the question, the required outcome and spending quality time on the maths, particularly in time conversion questions, as the time is not metric ;-)

Keep up the great posts, I'll post if I learn anything useful during the exam.

Brook

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Good Luck

Hey Brook. Good luck tomorrow. I found Nav to be reasonably straight forward and if you read the questions very carefully you'll have no problems. Have alook at my post in this Nav thread for more details.

www.bobtait.com.au/forum/navigation/2063-exam-debrief

If you simply try and think about the following broad logic you'll be fine:

What is your required ground state ie: fuel and load etc
What is your required performance ie: fuel burn, ground speed, ROC
What is your track required, track made good, and drift
Be able to calculate x-winfd on the runway from TAF data
What are the positive fix points and methods of confirmation
What are the CTA steps, boundaries, and what are requirements to remain in CTA ie: 500' above the step, but step - 0 is OK for below the step
Be able to calculate the climb, descent rates required to maintain or stay outside CTA.
Know your 1 in 60s backwards and track error corrections.
What is the LMT and UTC ie; Arc to Time conversions at various times of the year - all in ERSA.
Know the Rhumb Line and Great Circle definitions
Know the BOD and EOD definitions and also what happens to these as you fly North or South; and East to West

I am sure there are other things but the main one is - RELAX.

If an old bugger like me can pass all these exams, a bloke like you will have no problems at all.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds