Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Navigation Question - How long can I hold?

• Wendy
  • Topic Author

Wendy created the topic: Navigation Question - How long can I hold?

I recent took, and passed my Navigation exam. Self study using your fab books. However I have a question. In the exam I had a question that was something like this...
The TAF at airport A indicated that there will be temporary overcast cloud over airport A. I have 110 minutes of fuel plus the reserve. The alternate airport is 40 minutes away and requires 30 minutes holding. How long can I hold at airport A? The answer needed to inputted to the nearest minute. I would be interested in the answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Navigation Question - How long can I hold?

Hi Wendy and congratulations on passing the CPL Nav exam! I'd have to make a few assumptions based on the information you've provided. Assuming: you are presently over airport A and the reserves that have been taken out are both the variable and fixed reserve and any holding is calculated at normal cruise fuel flow rate.

If that is the case, the 110 minutes is actually flight fuel available. You need 40 minutes to get to the alternate and then 30 minutes to hold at the alternate. That will leave you with just the reserves on board (which is required for the sake of flight planning). The fuel available for holding over A therefore would be:
110 - 40 - 30 = 40 minutes.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds