Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Navigation question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CNAV Time Question

• Tayler.w.jones@gmail.com
  • Topic Author

Tayler.w.jones@gmail.com created the topic: CNAV Time Question

Just a quick question regarding the CNAV progress test question 16 on page 48:

"the time taken for the the sun to cross two consecutive meridians is closest to?"

The answer states (b) 4 minutes

My confusion is where it states 'two consecutive meridians', so to me it's saying two meridians, and from my understanding each meridian is one degree. So if each degree equates to 4 minutes of time, I would have thought the answer would be 8 minutes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, because I'm assuming my understanding of the material is off and I'm self studying all this at home, so it's hard to get advice and make sense of certain things.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: CNAV Time Question

Interesting interpretation Tayler. However a meridian is just a line on the earth's surface and each meridian is separated from its neighbour by 4 minutes of time. So for the sun to cross two consecutive meridians it must travel the distance that separates the two lines. That takes 4 minutes. It would take 8 minutes for the sun to cross three consecutive meridians.

• Tayler.w.jones@gmail.com
  • Topic Author

Tayler.w.jones@gmail.com replied the topic: CNAV Time Question

That makes a lot more sense!

Thanks for that Bob

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds