Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you are studying for your BAK or PPL exams and need some help, please post your question here. Someone on the forum is bound to help you as soon as they can.

Approx time available - PPL sample question

• AndrewTurnerAUS
  • Topic Author

AndrewTurnerAUS created the topic: Approx time available - PPL sample question

Hello good people of aviation,

I'm trying to get the answer to the following sample PPL question but i'm missing something, I never arrive at the correct answer of 11 hours 25 mins. I'm hoping someone can explain how they calculate this.

Given:
Beginning of daylight HAY (3432S 14450E) is 0615LMT, End of daylight AYERS ROCK (2512S 13059E) is 1715LMT, planned landing time is 30 minutes before end of daylight. What is the approximate time available, for a VFR flight from HAY to AYERS ROCK if the planned landing time is to be achieved?

Also when Longitude values are for example 14450E, in the arc to time conversion do I interpolate the value between 144 and 145?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Approx time available - PPL sample question

BOD Hay and EOD Ayres Rock are given in LMT. You can't simply subtract 0615 from 1715 because they are on different longitudes. Simplest solution would be to convert each of those to UTC and then subtract BOD Hay from EOD Ayres Rock. Don't forget to include the date in your calculation (use six figure time groups). Then subtract the required 30min buffer from your answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds