Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

• robk

robk replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Hi Matt,

Congrats. You are where we all want to be. I am new to the whole process. In a nutshell I am studying for BAK PPL. Have completed medical. Quick question. Do I need a ASIC accreditation? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Hi Robk,

No you don't. At least there is one regulation that is not enforced upon us... yet!

Good luck with the journey.

Matt.

• Matty K

Matty K replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Hey. I stubbled across this forum and am interested in the progress that CASA has made regarding the UAV operators certificate. I am in the progress of starting up a videography business and have experienced how these multirotors can be an amazing tool for aerial video and photo production. I'm aware of all the steps that are required to gain this license and was studying my pilots license through a local flying school and taking lessons before the idea of using a multirotor for a business tool took my interest. Does anyone have any idea on when CASA maybe changing the procecedure to make the operators licence more accessible without the huge amount of licenses required to obtain the one UAV OC. Im in no real hurry to finish my fixed wing pilots license but If theres no real changes in the future I may as well keep going at my fixed wing license while at the same time ticking off the requirements for a UAV OC. If anyone could shed some light on the current situation would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• airmap3d

airmap3d replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Short answer... it is not likely to change much, especially with regards to getting any easier. I would be expecting some small changes with CASA now having a dedicated RPAS division but overall it will still remain a difficult undertaking.

Don't "quote" me on that, as only CASA really know, but from my experience that is what I would envisage.

• plam
  • Topic Author

plam replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

A big unknown. In my opinion I would guess that changes are proposed but as for timing...?

If you read further back you will see there are vocational training packages being developed and training schools looking at facilities. Under current legislation these developments are in fact not required. Given they a fair bit of work and are being developed in consultation with CASA one can only guess that changes must be being considered. I have talked to Phil Presgrave about these on a number of occasions but they aren't saying anything.

"Last week CASA countered these frustrations by proposing that anyone be allowed to fly a drone under two kilograms after filling out an online application." (Rural Press, from memory)

There have also been a few press reports (as above) stating that CASA have some changes proposed but when prompted for an answer they state that they have been misquoted.

Long and short of it, I am only guessing that things will change but the big question is when? Years?

As airmap has said "Don't 'quote' me on that, as only CASA really know" and I doubt they are telling anyone.

• mikeman

mikeman replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Well done on getting your OC approved Matt. I bet you are relieved to have got to the end of that very long tunnel!

• mikeman

mikeman replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

It looks like the status quo remains as it is for now, so I would advise just keeping on going down the path that you are on. Nothing happens quickly at CASA so even if they are working on various changes it could take some time to implement them.

I would also start clocking up and logging hours with your multirotor. I customised a standard pilots log book for all of my UAV flying so you could do the same.

• Matty K

Thanks all for the prompt replies. I tried contacting Phil Presgrave but couldn't get a hold of him, will try again as he's probably the best person to ask! I'm going to continue my fixed wing PPL anyway and at the same time tick off some of these requirements for the UAV OC. Just a question If anyone would know the answer too? Say If i'm filming an advertisement for a clients business and charging them for my service and the use of my video camera specificately although I used some aerial footage of their business from a multirotor carrying a camera. Would this be against the law in regard to using a UAV commercially although I'm not charging for the service of the multirotor? Thanks

• plam
  • Topic Author

plam replied the topic: Left Field...UAV training (scale aircraft)

Short answer..yep!

Some UAV re sellers claim ambiguity in the law, but CASA don't see it this way and I think Mike cleared this up earlier.

• Matty K

Well thanks for clearing it up. It is definitely a bummer for these multirotors wanting to be used for a specific low level use, well under 500ft and definitely under 1000ft in built up areas for a business purpose and having a huge and costly amount of hurdles to clear. A massive well done to the people who have persisted and have obtained their UAV OC. I believe there needs to be something in place so there's not hundreds or thousands of these things flying around with licensed operators who just applied online and received a certificate but some sort of coarse that makes the operator aware of the hazards so they are used in a sensible way. The way I see it is UAV's definitely need to be governed but in a much more accessible way. The people wanting to use these multirotors commercially obviously need to know what limits there are and the different air laws regarding airspace, not flying anywhere near where there may be aircraft's flying lower than 500ft such as airspace around airports. But then again it would be unfair for the people who have gone through everything and the expenses to obtain their UAV OC such as airmap3d. I will just continue my fixed wing license and will watch how the UAV OC pans out.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds