Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin

What to do after getting the CPL

• Pavan_Pilot15
  • Topic Author

Pavan_Pilot15 created the topic: What to do after getting the CPL

Hi Guys,
I will be getting a degree in aviation from RMIT and it is a degree cover CPL units and by the end of the degree I will be acquiring my CPL. I am wondering what is the next step after getting my CPL? After the degree finishes The university gives me 2 choices which are theory to ATPL and an instructor rating and does the theory mean I am going to receive the ATPL in the end of the theory date.

My question is after the degree I will have at least 200 flying hours and what career option will be there for me?
Can someone please give me a step by step guide to becoming a airline pilot

Thank you in advance,
Pavan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aviatordan

Aviatordan replied the topic: What to do after getting the CPL

G'day Pavan,

This is a very subjective question and depends solely on your own circumstances.

In terms of getting your ATPL theory exams done, it all depends on what you want to do in the short term. If your goal is to become an airline pilot right off the bat, then it would be a good idea to knock out these exams as most airlines prefer a frozen ATPL (you require 1500 hours, to hold or have held an MECIR and potentially take a flight test after September to be granted an ATPL) as it removes one of the barriers to granting someone a command position. This is fairly true for high-end GA RPT operators also, however in most cases you require a few thousand hours to be competitive. Personally, my end goal is to be in the airlines, however I don't want to discount the life experience a good high-end GA charter gig would give. Therefore I have decided to wait a little bit before doing my ATPL theory as it wouldn't be relevant to my short-term career aspirations (I won't be flying a B767 anytime soon) and it would increase the material required to be re-learnt when I go for an airline interview.

As for the instructors rating, it again depends on what you're wanting to do with it. Having not completed one myself, but knowing a lot of people who have and based on what they've told me, I can say that it significantly increases your level and understanding of flying. At the end of the day, an IR may get you that allusive first gig.

As for career options after CPL, again this is highly subjective. You'll find that most skydiving operations will hire fresh CPL holders (this is the avenue I took), and will even give the right candidates a go on a turbine right away. You will also find some Charter/Scenic flight operators will hire fresh CPL holders also (see Kakadu Air). However, remember that most operators will require you to have an instrument rating before they will even look at you.

This industry is HIGHLY competitive, and you could be a born natural, with amazing flying ability and a strong understanding of theory but still not find a gig anywhere. It is SO important to get your name out there, go and network (it's as much about WHO you know as WHAT you know). You have an advantage in that you're doing it through a university and your lecturers are most likely highly experienced in their fields. Make friends with them. Learn from their experiences, and see if they know anyone in the industry that may be able to get you that first gig. I have done courses through Swinburne and UNSW and I make the most of each lecturer and have made friends in some fairly high places within the industry.

There really isn't a "step-by-step guide" to becoming an airline pilot. Everyone's route is different. You may want to go through an airline cadetship (although I know airlines like REX and QLink have postponed intakes due to lack of demand) or you may wish to start off in GA. My biggest piece of advice is go and research entry avenues (direct entry or cadetship) and requirements for whichever airline you wish to get in to, and set yourself goals. Remember that you're not going to be given Captain straight away and you are going to have to start at the bottom. Before I got my first gig, I stuck around the operation every weekend, cleaning planes, sweeping floors and helping wherever I could, just waiting for a position.

I hope this answer doesn't seem like a cop-out, I just wanted to stress that any advice anyone gives you MUST be tailored to your goals and your circumstances, as there is no 'one-size-fits-all' approach.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan

• Pavan_Pilot15
  • Topic Author

Pavan_Pilot15 replied the topic: What to do after getting the CPL

Hi Mr Dan,
Thank you for your insight in to my question and taking your time to write that piece of information.
My goal now is to finish the degree and get a float endorsment and a Command instrument rating so I can fly seaplanes and acquire hours before doing my ATPL. I will also try to the get the attention of charter companies.
Thank you,
Pavan

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: What to do after getting the CPL

Very good response Dan. Hats off to you!
Hi Pavan,
I used to give the same advice about ATPL theory to all my students.
The ones that did the theory straight after their CPLs found it was one less thing to worry about trying to get while searching for work. They didn't have to take time off to do a course and could concentrate on building experience.
The reason why I gave this advice was because I thought I could study in the evenings after work. The problem was, I got so busy and the days were so long that the last thing I wanted to do was study Human factors for ATPL or try get my already tired, burnt out brain around Performance and Loading! I finally got my ATPL, but that was after the few exams I had time to sit lapsed and was nearly about to have them lapse for a second time.
Once you get a job, you want to devote your time to finding ways to earn enough to live on (usual story of first job income), and to progress further up the food chain.

Can you get a job after the Float endorsement?

Good luck with the path you take and enjoy it as you go.

Cheers.
Mister W.

• Aviatordan

G'day Mister,

Yeah, that was my first thought as well, and I have actually been told that. I think the concept of 'get it done early' is very good advice, as like you said it does lessen the stress of getting it later (especially if you're in a rush as an airline job has suddenly popped up). But I also feel like you have to be careful as well, because if you're going to be spending a significant amount of time in GA and not using the information you learnt, your memory will lapse. But I guess an argument against that is you've got the foundational knowledge and at the point you need the information again you're simply refreshing. Anyway, enough discussing with myself...

Float endorsements are quite costly! Sydney Sea Planes has a 'job ready' endorsement which is upwards of $20k. And I'm fairly certain most operators require something like 2-300 water landings as a minimum. Tough sector to gain entry in to!

Dan

• Pavan_Pilot15
  • Topic Author

Hi Dan,
Yes The Float Endorsment is very costly almost as costly as the PPL. I am also thinking about an instructor rating on top of the IR what other ratings do you need to become an instructor?
And also is GA Charter flying a good way to acquire hours before knocking off the ATPL's?
-Regards Pavan

• Aviatordan

G'day Pavan,

As far as I am aware, the only rating you require to act as an instructor is an Instructor's Rating. Now this is also dependent on the organisation and what you will be teaching, as you may require certain approvals in addition to the rating itself, such as a Multi-Engine Training Approval.

GA Charter flying is some of the best and most rewarding flying you can do. This is compounded if you're lucky enough get some some twin time, and even more so, some twin IFR time (which is what makes airline recruiters go weak at the knees). However, in saying that, I know a Captain with Jetstar and in his experience, the airlines tend to hire those pilots that have an eclectic assortment of flying under their belt. He knew one guy who had been doing charter for this entire career and he was knocked back as he was too stagnant. Again, this should be taken with a grain of salt as I am sure it is also dependent on the airline and how bad of a week the recruiter is having leading up to the time of your interview.

Dan

• Pavan_Pilot15
  • Topic Author

Hi Dan,
Probably during the end of the degree I will have at least 160 hours of flight time and will Charter Companies hire pilots under 250 hours?
And also how do you log hours as an instructor? Not sure if it is Pilot in command (PIC) or something else?
Thinking of getting some hours as a instructor and going on to a charter company and acquiring hours and experience and then knock off the ATPL's and apply for a regional airline?

Thank you,
Pavan

• Aviatordan

Pavan,

That really depends upon the company and their insurance requirements. There is always the possibility Charter companies will hire you as a fresh CPL, yes. You will most likely find that you won't be doing Charter flights straight off the bat, though. They will most likely have you doing scenic/joy flights. Have a look at Kakadu Air (you can pretty much count on having to move somewhere remote).

Whilst you're instructing, you're PIC and can therefore log all the hours. The student logs the hours as dual. Be careful with this approach, however. I have seen many instructors enter the job purely to build hours and they tend to bring the wrong attitude, and it definitely shows in the instruction. It really does need to be a job that gets all of your attention, as it would be a disservice to your students otherwise, especially considering what you teach will likely stick with a student for most of their career.

Cheers,

Dan

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds