Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Special VFR in Class C & D

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike created the topic: Special VFR in Class C & D

Hi, just sitting some practice exams for Air Law and I cam across this question;

A special VFR [SVFR] flight operating in Class C or D airspace will receive separation from all -
a) VFR Flights
b) SVFR & IFR Flights (correct answer)
c) IFR flights only
d) all other flights

Now, reading the AIP ENR 1.4 para 4 table

It says that SVFR recieve seperation from other SVFR flights with no mention of IFR flights. IFR flights recieve seperation from SVFR, VFR & IFR.

Am I missing something here or have the regulations changed since this question was released?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Special VFR in Class C & D

Hi Sam,

In Class C, ATC is separating IFR from IFR and IFR from SVFR flights. They are also separating SVFR from SVFR.

If they are keeping IFR from SVFR, by extension, you as the SVFR pilot are not going to hit an IFR aircraft because ATC will be keeping them out of your way. You are also not going to hit another SVFR aircraft because you will be getting explicit separation instructions anyway.

So, even though according to AIP ENR 1.4 it would seem you are only getting separation information on other SVFR flights, you are actually also being kept away from IFR flights as well.

The same logic applies to separation in Class D.

Cheers,

Rich

• SierraAlphaMike
  • Topic Author

SierraAlphaMike replied the topic: Re: Special VFR in Class C & D

I see, well that makes sense I guess. Just needed to read a little bit further into it.

Sneaky sneaky. ;)

Thanks!

• Ray

Ray replied the topic: Re: Special VFR in Class C & D

There are really two correct answers to this question. If conditions are below VMC then the only flights at that time will be IFR or SVFR (normal VFR not permitted). So the 'all other flights' answer is equally valid as long as conditions remain below VMC.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds