Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Classification of Operations

• timjwill
  • Topic Author

timjwill created the topic: Classification of Operations

Hi Bob, Rich,

I seem to find it difficult to use the regs in questions similar to the one below:

You hold a CPL and are employed by a company as the pilot of its single engine aircraft with a seating capacity of six. The company has a requirement to transport its employees between two company sites. The flights are only available to company employees and no charge is made to the individual employee for the flight. What is the lowest category of operation under which these flights may be conducted? AWK/CHTR/PVT/RPT

I reference CAR 206 and since you are employed as a pilot you are conducting (1)(b)(i) the carriage of passengers for reward. The regs also mention that "the personal transportation of the owner of the aircraft" is a PVT operation, however the employees being transported can hardly by considered the owners of the aircraft. Additionally, the carriage or persons in accordance with (7A) allows a PVT operation if "no payment is made for the services of the operating crew" and "the persons on the flight share equally in the costs of the flight". This is not the case.

Can you shed some light on what I'm missing here?

Many thanks,
Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Classification of Operations

Hi Tim
That's always been a shade of grey. Re this scenario - it could be PVT ops not withstanding the fact the the person is employed commercially as a pilot. Esso mobile conducted such operations in Bass Strait for decades with 10 pilots and 8 x S76 helicopters. The argument seems to be that the 'flight' has not been undertaken for a 'commercial purpose'. All I can say is that CASA has full knowledge of such operations all over Australia and I've never heard of any action being taken. In an exam, I would be prepared to say it's a PVT flight.

• timjwill
  • Topic Author

timjwill replied the topic: Classification of Operations

Thanks for the reply Bob. Feels a bit grey indeed, but we'll press on!

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds