Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Pilot studies

• Duvaal
  • Topic Author

Duvaal created the topic: Pilot studies

Hi Bob

I'd be very grateful if you could answer a question that has been in my mind for sometime. I believe that BAK is the first stage when starting with pilot studies and was wondering if PPL is a pre-requisite to doing the CPL or can 1 go from passing the BAK and straight into the CPL theory courses. If PPL isnt mandatory and if 1 chooses not to do it how will this impact the CPL studies being undertaken.

Thank you
Duvaal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Gidday Duvaal

It is possible to skip PPL theory and go straight from BAK to CPL. There are a few things to consider though.

1. You would have to have a talk to your CFI and see what the policy of the school is on this matter. Some schools require their students to complete the PPL.
2. It is a fairly big step from BAK to CPL and you would have a lot to get your head around on the way. I guess it depends on whether you feel you have the capacity to study.
3. If you don't sit the PPL exam, you will be limited to GFPT flying until you actually pass the CPL flight test. That means no private cross country flying and no ratings such as night VFR.
4. It is more difficult to fully grasp some of the principles when you have not had the practical exposure.

However it certainly can be done as I have had many students who have chosen to do that. If you asked me for my personal opinion, I think it is better to complete the PPL on the way. It gives you a short-term goal and a chance to enjoy some private flying to consolidate at the PPL level. In any case, all of the PPL theory is necessary to successfully complete the CPL examinations.

Bob

• Duvaal
  • Topic Author

Duvaal replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Hi Bob

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.

Just a final question if I may. How many hours of flying is required to be eligible for a PPL license?

Thank You
Duvaal.

• FlyingThereAndBack

FlyingThereAndBack replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Most instructor's etc. don't like putting a number on it because it can vary SOO MUCH between different people. You should expect to fly at least 50-60 hours I think. You will be ready to sit the PPL flight test once you achieve competency in all PPL area's to PPL standards, this will vary from person to person. If you save up before starting, then fly as many time's a week as you can on top of studying (Keeping weather in mind), you will get through it with slightly less hour's, the last thing you want to do as a student pilot is give yourself time to go rusty, in my opinion.
My last opinion, skipping PPL very bad idea. Doesn't take long at all to study, flight test is not expensive, it's only one extra CASA exam, and it has far too many con's.

• Duvaal
  • Topic Author

Duvaal replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate your input.

Cheers
D.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Minimum hours to be issued a PPL is 40. From what I've seen (in the big scheme of things, not a lot), very rarely does anybody achieve the standard to sit the flight test in those hours!

• JeffM

JeffM replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Bob,

I am interested in the E Books but was wondering if they are down-loadeable or if you have to be on-line to access them. I spend an inordinate amount of time flying commercially and would like to read and study whilst on the move. Obviously online access is not viable when in the air (at least not at 40,000'!)

If not then I might just stick with the printed texts.

Many thanks,

BTW, used your book and trial exams for CPL Performance and nailed 90%, happy to get that one out of the way!

Regards,
Jeff MAGUIRE

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Pilot studies

Hi Jeff,

No, the E-texts are for online reading and not for downloading. That way we can keep them updated more readily. You're right, online access is not viable on a commercial airliner but students are using them regularly on commutes etc - on any device and anywhere you can get an internet connection basically.

If you haven't tried it already and want to see what the E-Texts are all about, you can have a go with the free E-Text version of CASA's VFG which you will find here:

www.bobtait.com.au/forum/helpful-tips-an...es-guide-free-e-text

Congratulations on the CPL Perf pass as well. 90% is a very fine result. You can be proud of that!

Good luck with your studies,

Cheers,

Rich

• JeffM

JeffM replied the topic: Pilot studies

Richard,

I want to purchase the Aerodynamics Prep Exam. I have already purchased the Performance prep exam and as such have an account/log-on. When going to purchase the Aerodynamics exam it is forcing me down a path to re-enter all my details. I don't want to set up mulitple accounts - am I doing somethion wrong, is there a way to log-on and purchase new prep exams that I'm missing??

Thanks for the help.
Jeff.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Pilot studies

Hi Jeff,

You are not doing anything wrong. The online sales merchant we use requires customers to enter their details for each separate order. When we are notified of the sale, Lee sets it up in our online school. If a student already has an account the new enrolment is simply added to the student's list of courses and they continue to login with their ARN and password as before.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds