Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

wind question and cyclone pressures

• Thank you received: 0

Flightsurgeon created the topic: wind question and cyclone pressures

In the 2nd book there is a questions that reads

1. What variation in wind and temperature would normally occur with the passage of a cold front

The answer is that in the Australian situation that wind backs and the temperature drops.
The temperature drops is fine, but does this imply that

as the low passes, the air is moving clockwise

then as a high comes in the air would move anticlockwise

at the same point, then there is a 180 degree difference when the wind moves from clockwise to counterclockwise.

Therefore if there is 180 difference between the wind direction, how would be backed or veered .

Also is the low associated always with a cold

I can see how the changes equate to the situation in Australia but is that universal across Australia

Sorry if I am getting confused re this but I would appreciate some help

Kind regards

Ravi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: wind question and cyclone pressures

It's not a 180° change in direction. The wind in the warm sector ahead of the front is generally northwesterly. The wind in the cold sector behind the front is generally southwesterly. As the front passes from west to east, the wind swings (backs) from northwesterly to southwesterly.

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 0

Flightsurgeon replied the topic: wind question and cyclone pressures

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much, can I also ask , are cold fronts associated with Lows and warm with highs or is there no association ?

My feeling that a high would be indicative of cold as the heavier air will settle down and in a low, the weather is warmer in general as the air will tend to rise?

Kind regards

Ravi

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: wind question and cyclone pressures

Cold fronts in the Australian region are always associated with low pressure systems that originate in the polar front which forms the boundary between the very cold polar air mass and the warmer sub-tropical air to the north.

The low pressure systems form as eddies along the polar front and the cold polar air sweeps up over the southern part of Australia pushing the warmer sub-tropical air up and away as it moves. You can see this happening in the attachment to my previous post.

Bob
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds