Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Meteorology question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

calculate freezing level?

• Nicholaspryzibilla
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Nicholaspryzibilla created the topic: calculate freezing level?

Hi,
Can some please help me?
In the BOB TAIT CPL MET theory book, I've been going through some of the practice questions.
Exercise GM 3 question no. 11 asks.

Cumulus cloud with a base of 3000ft above the ground is observed over an aerodrome. If the elevation of the aerodrome is 2000ft AMSL and the air temperature at ground level is 18degreesC, at approximately what height would the freezing level be expected inside the cloud?
The answer in the book is [D] 11000ft AMSL

I cannot get the same answer no matter how many times I try.
do you count ground level as aerodrome level? same is in a TAF in regard to cloud height.
in the working out provide it seems not. I'm extremely confused and have my CASA MET exam TOMMOROW. up until this point I was getting all my sums correct on this topic at the ground school I attend.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: calculate freezing level?

From sea level to the cloud base, the rising air cools at the DALR (3°/1000ft). From the cloud base to FZL the rising air cools at 1.5/1000ft (SALR). Temperature at the cloud base is 9° (18 - 3x3). Lose another 9° at 1.5°/1000 = 6000ft. FLZ = 11000ft.

Attachments:

• Nicholaspryzibilla
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0

Nicholaspryzibilla replied the topic: calculate freezing level?

Hi Bob,
thanks for getting back to me.
I see where I went wrong. I misread that the cloud base was AGL and I was doing my calculations with the cloud AMSL.
Thanks Nick

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds