Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Aerodynamics question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Anhedral

• JackFa
  • Topic Author

JackFa created the topic: Anhedral

Hi Guys,
Came across an interesting question on the effect of anhedral on ailerons. Anhedral reduces lateral stability. Would that mean that the ailerons are more effective on an anhedral wing as the a/c is now more controlable? A bit puzzled. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: Anhedral

Hi Jack!....hmm, should say that on an aviation forum.

I think you will find the ailerons are more responsive than compared to a wing with Dihedral. The way I think of it, because of the reduced lateral stability, a smaller control input will be enough to initiate the roll. Then, the instability will assist in maintaining the rolling motion. Think of the good ol' upside down sugar bowl with the marble on top example. Push the marble only a tiny little bit and away it goes!

With Dihedral, the aileron input and the lift its generating has to overpower the increased lateral stabilty while rolling the aircraft, if you get my meaning.

So, I would say that the aircraft is more responsive in roll with anhedral as opposed to being more controllable. Takes a bit more effort to stop them rolling once they get going.

Hope I haven't totally confused you. :blink:

Cheers,
Mister W B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds