Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Final Approach distance

• Ezz35
  • Topic Author

Ezz35 created the topic: Final Approach distance

I have the exam tomorrow and on top of that, Ive had to take the day off work with the flu! Great news!

Just did my final practice exam and struggled through the cloudy mind I have right now for a 87% after scoring all in the 90s. I cant find the reference to the distance for final approach in the CAR. I know CAAP recommends turn onto final should be done by 500ft, but I was told in my PPL training there was a set distance from the fence or threshold of what I cant remember and now cant find. Dumb I know but I really need to get this sorted for tomorrow and its a battle right now!
I answered "approach must allow a straight approach of 1000m from the threshold" over the "by 500ft" as it seemed to be the only one worded correctly. There was an answer about less then 500m from the fence but I cant think straight.

A reference would be great, or even just the answer?! My head feels like its imploding lol :sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Final Approach distance

You won't find any mention of a distance for final approach from the runway threshold. It used to be 500m but that was dropped last year. The only requirement for the turn onto final is that it must be completed by 500 ft AGL.

See AIP ENR 1.1 para 48.5.6

Good luck with the exam.

• Ezz35
  • Topic Author

Ezz35 replied the topic: Re: Final Approach distance

Thanks Bob! I was hoping I wasnt losing my mind!

Another one I got was about using radio navaids.
"Your are a CPL holder wanting to nav by day over ground that wont let you position fix by ground every 30mins, you plan to you radio navaids, one condition is:
You obtain a position fix every 2hr
You can not use them
You must hold a CIR to use them
You must hold a NVFR and be endorsed on the aids you plan to use

I answered D because you cant use them if your not endorsed on them you can not leagally use them? I know that position fixing every 2hr is also a requirement, is this just a wording thing asuming I already am endorsed?

No you don't need an instrument rating or a night rating. It is enough to have a 'certificate of competency' in your log book signed off by a flying instructor stating that you have been instructed in and are considered competent to use those aids. You must get a positive fix at intervals not exceeding 2 hours.

See AIP ENR 1.1 para 19.2.1 [d] and Note 2

• Ezz35
  • Topic Author

Ofcourse the question didnt come up. In my banged up state managed a 93% :) Thanks Bob!

Oh - what a bummer! Congratulations. That's a fantastic mark, you should be rightly proud of it. Just make sure you turn onto final by 500 ft from now on!

• Ezz35
  • Topic Author

Haha thanks Bob! Im really happy with the result with the way Im feeling right now. Ive always turned final by 500ft, just got confused when it asked for a CAR ref!

Met is the next challenge!

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds