Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

R536B

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 created the topic: R536B

I just want to ask regarding the restricted area R536B as to when it is active. it says in the ERSA that it's active during JO 2300-0600 (1 Hills HR EARLIER HDS) OT BY NOTAM...

This question came out from my AIR LAW CASA exam question. And my question is whether it's active based on JO which is from Monday to Friday except public holidays OR by referring to NOTAM?

Thank you.

Regards,
Pilot_5100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: R536B

In short: Both.

The activity times for R536B actually reads:

"2300-0600 (1 HR EARLIER HDS) OT BY NOTAM"

This translates as: 2300-0600 UTC Monday to Friday (except public holidays). During daylight savings these UTC times shift forward by an hour (2200-0500 UTC). The restricted area may become active outside of these times but that activity will be promulgated by NOTAM.

By the way the word "Hills" is just a line overrun from the Authority entry for R536B: "...Orchard Hills"

Cheers,

Rich

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: R536B

Thanks Richard for ur message...

I just re-sit my Air Law and I passed with 90% marks...

Wish i could do more than that...

Regarding R536B, I asked this question as I appear from my CASA Exam question...
They put down both Monday to Friday and NOTAM and I have no idea which one to choose...

Also, I just want to clarify the question regarding BLACKALL (QLD)... From Bob Tait's book page 3.26 (Air Law Sample Questions - Set 5)... The question appeared in the book...

Refer to ERSA. Which item of information relating to BLACKALL (QLD) is correct?
A. Right hand circuits are required on Runway 24
B. Blackall is not a certifies aerodrome
C. Reports should be addressed to Brisbane Centre on 122.1 Mhz
D. Broadcasts should be made on 122.1 Mhz within the CTAF boundary...

I am asking this question as you mentioned the other day if taxing in Blackall we should broadcast on 126.7 on CTAF frequency and relating this question the correct answer by Bob Tait is C and I am not sure whether it's related to taxiing or when you are airborne. Can you help me to clarify?

For today's CASA exam... I have made four mistakes and the questions are...
1. FROM 0400 ... SCT 080 SCT 030... If your ETA is 4... What is the minimum requirement for holding and alternate?
A. No requirement required
B. Only alternate
C. 30 minutes holding and alternate
D. 30 minutes (INTER) and 60 minutes (TEMPO)

I chose B which is only alternate as I though I need one as SCT + SCT will eventually become BKN or OVC... Anyway, I got this question wrong... Can you help to explain why?

2. This question appeared before regarding Mode A and Mode C transponder but I got it wrong again. Just wanna ask, which classes is permitted for this two transponder to operate on if it's fitted with an engine driven electrical system capable of continuously powering a transponder? I know i can find the answer from AIP GEN 1.5-10 but I couldn't understand the paragraph...
A. Only Class C
B. Only C and D
C. Only C and E
D. Only C, D, E and G

Can you explain this question? I chose A once and this time I chose D BUT i got it wrong as well...

3. This question regarding VFR tracking tolerance... I might didn't read the question properly but it sounds like when you fly through VFR and what is the tolerance from CTR when you use VOR and your VOR at some point didn't get a proper reception. U plan to fly ahead according to your route. So, what is the tracking tolerance (using the exact number without rounded up)...

A. 5.2
B. 5
C. 9
D. 6.9
E 12

I chose A which is 5.2 but I got this wrong... Can you explain why? ( Is it mean 9 is the answer as according to ENR 1.1 - 41 from AIP says that for DR tracking +/- 9 may be used where intial track guidance has been provided by NDB, VOR or TACAN and there is no subsequent change in track)

4. This question relates to the maintenance by pilot. I got this wrong as I misunderstood the wording...
What maintenance can be carried out on a Class B aircraft by a pilot?
1. replacement of bulb, glasses and lenses
2. something to do with the wing ( i know 2 is wrong)
3. Changing oil filters and engine oil
4. Replacing spark plug cap

A. 1 and 3
B. Only 3
C. 1, 3 and 4
D. 1, 2 and 4

I chose 1, 3 and 4 but I got this one wrong... I referred to Schedule 8 for this and on point 12 it did says replacement, cleaning or setting gaps of , spark plugs... I just wanna ask whether the spark plug cap is allowed?

Thank you so much Richard for your help...

Btw, I manage to figure out the question relating towards the carriage of dogs in a flight. CASA tricks me by saying, if a passenger is carrying a dog, what is the requirement for the dog for the flight?

A. restrained, sit on the moisture map and next to passenger
B. container and at baggage area
C. restrained, sit on the moisture
D. not allowed

If not reading the question properly, we can straight away put A or C as the answer but the real one is B. Luckily this time I managed to go through this question properly.

Once again, thank you Richard...

Regards.
pilot_5100

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: R536B

Hi mate,

I've got a few minutes so can guide you on a couple of questions...

With regards to cloud, remember an alternate/holding fuel is only required when more than half (4/8) of the sky is SCT or more, at or below 1500' AGL. In this instance for arrival at 0400, the LOWEST cloud forecast is SCT at 3000'.

Even though SCT + SCT does equal BKN/OVC, this won't happen until 8000' where the next layer of cloud starts. Unless there was another line in the TAF regarding an INTER/TEMPO period, no alternate or holding fuel is required.

Transponders: Just from 'experience' and knowing that A and D are both wrong, I would hazard a guess that it's B.

Schedule 8: Not sure what a spark plug cap is entirely, but I assume it's the part that connects the lead to the plug, that little plastic, err cap, I guess =) If you were to try and replace that it sounds like it would require some sort of electrical disassembly and refitting so probably best to leave it alone.

Good job on the 90%!

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: R536B

Allo Captainellzy,

Thank u so much for ur feedback...

Need to sit for Meteorology next...

Btw, I made mistake regarding the question... It should be SCT 008 SCT030... Anyhow, I don't think I need alternate or holding for that as the question simply ask for the MINIMUM requirement...

Once again , thank you.

Regards,
Pilot_5100

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: R536B

Blackall: The question you mentioned regarding Blackall has been updated to reflect the ERSA entry for Blackall. The question now reads:

Refer ERSA. Which item of information relating to BLACKALL (QLD) is correct ?
A Right hand circuits are required on RWY 24
B Blackall is not a certified aerodrome
C You would not expect to make contact with Brisbane Centre on 122.1 Mhz at circuit height.
D Broadcasts should be made on 122 .1 Mhz within 10 nautical miles of the aerodrome.

ANSWER: C

Transponders: this question as you is still very odd. You have Mode A / C and you have an "engine driven electrical system capable of continuously powering a transponder" so you can enter airspace A, C and E. However, you can of course also enter D and G since they do not require use of a transponder.

Perhaps what CASA is getting at is, since VFR is not permitted in Class A, the transponder qualifies you, as a VFR pilot, for flight in C and E. This would then be option (c). However, as I said, the question as you described it is still somewhat ambigous.

VOR Tracking and CTR Tolerance Yes, 9o is the answer. You were initially using the VOR but it is now out of range so you are using DR. The note in ENR 1.1 19.12 states you may use +/- 9o if your initial track guidance was provided by a VOR or NDB but you are now relying on DR. This is an improvement over the +/-12o you would have to use for purely DR navigation.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds