Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball created the topic: Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if someone can point me to the correct references about changing levels and direction in controlled airspace WITHOUT atc approval i.e. the conditions where this would be deemed acceptable.

I am struggling to find it in the AIP (am I even looking in the right place?)

Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

You will find it in ERSA EMERG emergency change of level.

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball replied the topic: Re: Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

Thanks Bob. :)

Is there a similar reference for emergency heading changes?

I was wondering what would happen if you are flying VFR in controlled airspace and fly into cloud - my initial action would be to do a 180 and fly back out, but would you need approval from ATC to do that first or could you initiate the 180 and then inform ATC that you are making the turn?

Cheers.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

Yes. The procedure would be the same for change of track as it is for change of level.

ERSA EMERG 1.7.1 says you must make a PAN PAN call advising the level change "and diversions if necessary". So that means you are free to divert if it is necessary

• basketball
  • Topic Author

basketball replied the topic: Re: Level and Heading changes in controlled airspace

Thanks Bob :)

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds