Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

class D - clearance

• Neville75
  • Topic Author

Neville75 created the topic: class D - clearance

Can you please clear up some confusion for me regarding the terminology of the clearance required in class D?

In a practise exam I had the following question:

Select the class of controlled airspace in which VFR aircraft may operate without an airways clearance -
Answers were choices from Classes D, A, E or C. The correct answer was E.

Another question was as follows:

Select the class of controlled airspace in which VFR aircraft may operate without an airways clearance -
Answers were choices from Classes A, B, C or D. The correct answer was D.

Is the difference between these just that for the first question, class E was more correct than class D?
In the latter question, I am assuming that the answer is referring to the type of clearance into class D is merely two way communication - not a formal "airways clearance"?

For the sake of the casa exam, do I consider the clearance into class D to be an airways clearance or two way communication (not an actual airways clearance)?

Thanks
Neville

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: class D - clearance

Gidday Neville

I agree that a VFR aircraft may operate in class D airspace without an airways clearance. You simply state your intentions and an acknowledgement from the tower constitutes approval to operate in class D. If you intend to climb into the overlying Class C airspace, you would, of course, need an airways clearance. As to your first example, I would think that the answer to that aught to be either E or D. I'll check it out and make a change if necessary.

Thanks for your feed-back.

• Neville75
  • Topic Author

Neville75 replied the topic: Re: class D - clearance

thanks Bob.
Sat my exam, today, and passed with 95% which was ok.
Anyway onto the next one!

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Nev

bobtait replied the topic: Re: class D - clearance

WOW! What a fantastic result. Congratulations - it is clear that you deserved it! Onwards and Upwards....

• Shiellsy

Shiellsy replied the topic: class D - clearance

G'day Bob,

I'm looking at this question now (page 2.28 of the air law book):

Answers were choices from Classes A, B, C or D. The correct answer was D.

ENR 1.1 3.1 states that all flights, with the exception of emergency aircraft, require a clearance. In A, C and D airspace. I think the confusion comes from note 2 - that you can enter D once you have established two way communications with a TWR. This two way commnications constitutes the clearance to enter the zone. It is a different form of clearance to the other controlled airspaces - but a VFR aircraft still requires a clearance to enter class D.

To make this question correct B needs to be replaced with E.

Does this question feature on the CASA exams?

bobtait replied the topic: class D - clearance

I have changed this question so as to avoid all the heart ache it has caused. As far as I know, CASA has not asked such a question. Anyway, just for the record, here is my explanation of the original question.

According to AIP GEN 2.2 the definition of an airways clearance is as follows -

In Class D airspace, ATC does not issue a designated track or specified height to the pilot. It is the pilot who advises ATC of the track and height he intends to fly and ATC issue an acknowledgement if that is considered acceptable. So, by definition, ATC has not issued an airways clearance.

In any case, let's declare this one over. I don't want to spoil any beautiful friendships, so I've changed the question.

Peace brothers! Bob
Attachments:

• Ray

Ray replied the topic: class D - clearance

Peace indeed Bob!

Refer all pilots to AIP ENR 1.1 para 12.3.

Clearance is required under the auspices of this direction.

The pilot states intention, which may be over ruled by ATC.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds