Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

There is no RASH

• Ray
  • Topic Author

Ray created the topic: There is no RASH

It has been years since RASH was reported in METARS/SPECIS, yet I continue to see it in Bob's textbooks. -SHRA, SHRA, +SHRA, fair enough, but for crying out loud there is no RASH!

CPL Air Law 4.4 by the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: There is no RASH

OK those changes have been made. RASH is now SHRA. Hope this whole episode hasn't upset you too much!! Thanks for the feed back.

Regards

Bob

• Ray
  • Topic Author

Ray replied the topic: Re: There is no RASH

:laugh:
Not too upset Bob - just glad that nasty RASH has finally gone.

On a more serious note, I did pick up a few other minor errors in the Operational Met section of the Air Law text. Most of them are a bit on the nit-picking side so I won't go through all of them, but one that probably needs adjusting is the definition of present weather in the vicinity for Aerodrome Weather Reports (the VC prefix). It used to be the case that this was used for weather phenomena within 8km of the aerodrome reference point (as the text states), however this has changed. VC is now used to describe present weather between 8km and 16km from the aerodrome reference point. Any weather phenomena occurring within 8km is now considered to be weather at the aerodrome, so will simply be reported as that present weather.

eg
thunderstorm (with no precipitation) within 8km = TS
thunderstorm between 8km and 16km from the ARP = VCTS

The other point I will make is that Dew Point temperature and Wet Bulb temperature are NOT the same thing. This probably goes well beyond what subject matter a CPL is required to know but it also might serve to cause confusion if pilots think that they are the same thing. I'm happy to elaborate on the matter if anyone is interested, otherwise suffice it to say that they are not the same.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: There is no RASH

There will be many who will find it interesting even if no one says so on here. The more information we get on the forums the better a resource they will become. If you have the time to spare a few words for other students, please feel free :)

Cheers,

Rich

• Ray
  • Topic Author

The ambient air temperature that we see reported in our METARS is also referred to as the 'dry bulb' temperature. It is measured in the shade of an instrument shelter, normally about 1.2 metres above ground level. Traditionally, it was measured using a mercury thermometer, but it is now measured electronically using a resistance temperature device.

The dewpoint temperature cannot be measured directly, it must be calculated. Traditionally, this was done by recording both the 'wet bulb' temperature and the 'dry bulb' temperature. The 'wet bulb' temperature was measured by an identical mercury thermometer right beside the dry bulb thermometer in the same instrument shelter, only it had a wet cotton muslin wrapped around the mercury bulb, with a wick attached to a reservoir of distilled water to keep the muslin moist. Because the muslin is moist, whenever the relative humidity of the ambient air is below 100% evaporation is occurring and we all know that evaporation absorbs latent heat, so the wet bulb temperature will always be lower than the dry bulb (except when humidity is 100%). The lower the humidity, the greater the difference between the the dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures. By calculating the difference between the two temperatures and looking up a table comparing this difference to the current dry bulb temperature, the dew point temperature could be found (a separate chart used the same figures to calculate the relative humidity). At Bureau staffed meteorological stations this process continues today as it is the most accurate method for determining the dew point (and relative humidity). These days the wet bulb temperature is also measured by an electronic resistance temperature device with a combined wet muslin/wick fed from a distilled water reservoir. The calculations are now done using algorithms by computer rather than referring to tables. You are are unlikely to ever come across the wet bulb temperature because it isn't published anywhere, it is simply used to calculate the dew point and relative humidity.

When the relative humidity is 100% (which by the way does not occur only in fog - it is common during heavy precipitation and blizzards as well), the dry bulb, wet bulb and dew point temperatures are all equal. When the relative humidity is less than 100%, the dry bulb is always greater than the wet bulb temperature and the wet bulb temperature is always greater than the dew point. For example, I live in the tropics and right now the dry bulb temperature is 28.8C, the wet bulb temperature is 26.7C, the dew point temperature is 25.9C, and the relative humidity is 85% (yes it's build-up time!). Because the humidity is high, these temperatures are quite close together - but in dryer conditions the temperatures are very different.

So, the wet bulb and dew point temperature are not the same thing and if you ever happen to get hold of a wet bulb temperature (probably from a BoM office), please don't substitute it for dew point temperature in your aviation calculations.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: There is no RASH

Ray,

Thanks very much for this post. I is a valuable contribution to resources available to visitors to this forum. By the way, where abouts in the tropics do you live? I only ask because I was born and grew up in Innisfail.

Bob

• Ray
  • Topic Author

Hi Bob - similar latitude but I am on the other side of the continent in steamy Broome.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: There is no RASH

Excellent article Ray, thanks very much for posting. I'm certain that is going to be useful to others here on the site. Great job.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds