Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Supplemental Oxygen for other crew members

• Gleavage
  • Topic Author

Gleavage created the topic: Supplemental Oxygen for other crew members

Hi Bob, sorry to bother again but I have a question regarding CAO 20.4 para 6.3 (b)

The order says:
"A crew member (not on duty in the flight deck) in an unpressurized aircraft must be provided with supplemental oxygen:

(b) at all times during which the aircraft flies above FL120; and must use supplemental oxygen at all times during which the aircraft flies above FL140."

It seems to me that it is saying exactly the same thing for both FL120 and FL140. What am I missing?

Cheers

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Supplemental Oxygen for other crew members

Hi Andrew,

They are giving you a guide to how much oxygen you need to carry onboard. In an unpressurised aircraft, if you are operating between 10000 ft and FL120 you do not need to carry supplemental oxygen for non-flying crew members as long as the flight time in that altitude band does not exceed 30 minutes. Or, in other words, when calculating the amount of oxygen to carry, you can ignore the first 30 minutes of time operating in that altitude band. However, you must carry oxygen for them for all the time expected beyond that 30 minutes between 10000 ft and FL120.

On top of that. you must also provide enough oxygen for them to cover all flight time above FL120. The reg then goes on to say, it is not enough to just carry that oxygen, the non-flying crew member must actually be using it at all times when operating above FL140.

This of course only relates to the non-flying crew member. Compare that to the pilot flying: they must actually be on oxygen from 10000 ft no matter what the duration.

Cheers,

Rich

• Gleavage
  • Topic Author

Gleavage replied the topic: Supplemental Oxygen for other crew members

So what if the aircraft is flying at FL 130?
I might be missing something but does it address that band between FL120 and FL140?

• Richard

Hi Andrew, sorry cross-posted. I just finished editing my original answer.

If you were operating at FL130, you would need to provide supplemental oxygen the whole time you expect to be that high. In fact you need to carry enough for the whole time you expect to be above FL120.

Remember, this reg refers to the amount of oxygen that needs to be carried i.e. "made available". The actual regulation for using that oxygen is:
- pilot-flying: all times above 10000 ft and
- non-flying crew: all times above FL140 (but there needs to be enough oxygen available for them to use from FL120 and for any time beyond 30 minutes when between 10000 ft and FL120).

Cheers,

Rich

• Gleavage
  • Topic Author

Gleavage replied the topic: Supplemental Oxygen for other crew members

Great, thanks for that Rich, cleared that up.

Andrew

• Richard

No worries :)

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds