Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Navigating the CAR & CAO

• Victor
  • Topic Author

Victor created the topic: Navigating the CAR & CAO

Hello Bob, Richard and fellow students,

First of all let me thank you for your indirect help so far. I recently came over to Australia to convert my European licences to the Australian and just passed the Human Performance exam with 93% using your study material. Next on my list is CPL Air Law which I am currently having difficulty with.

I would be very thankful if you could provide me tips on how to best categorize a question as to be found in either the CAR or CAO, and most importantly where to proceed from there. Tags are not allowed in both publications, yet the CAO does not have an index to use. Do you have any tips on a logical way to approach a search and navigate through either one of the publications?

Examples of difficulty finding the answers in either CAR or CAO:

Which of the following would not prohibit a private pilot from conducting a solo flight?
(a) medical certificate not current
(b) no current biennial flight review
(c) the pilot is being paid to carry freight
(d) the pilot has not flown in the last 90 days
My thought would be to refer to the CAR Part 5, Division 5: Private Pilot Licence. This however does not talk about solo flights...

As a private pilot you must notify CASA or a designated medical examiner if you have suffered a sporting injury which has incapacitated you for more than
(a) 30 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 90 days
(d) 120 days
I'd expect to find this in the CAO, but guidance is desperately needed on where!

Referring to maintenance that may be carried out by a pilot, CAR 42ZC mentions the items in schedule 8. Where to find this?

Thanks for reading.
Victor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Navigating the CAR & CAO

Unfortunately there is no simple solution to the mess the CAO and CARs are in. In fact the CASRs are even worse. Most students find that the best approach is simply to do as many sample questions as possible and look up the reference for every one. That will usually help you to come up with a 'mental map'.

Concerning your questions. A private [or commercial] pilot cannot fly an aeroplane with passengers on board unless he/she has done three take-offs and three landings in the last 90 days. CAR 5.82. The first three choices are incorrect because you cannot fly at all without a medical certificate or flight review and a Private Pilot cannot receive payment for a flight. So the answer is [d].

The answer to the second question is found in CASR 67.265. A private pilot must notify CASA if a sickness or injury prevents him/her from flying for 30 days [7 days for a CPL].

Bob

• Victor
  • Topic Author

Victor replied the topic: Navigating the CAR & CAO

Thanks for the reply Mr. Tait! Lets hope I come up with this "mental map" soon.

Victor

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds