Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

AIRMET and SIGMET

• ColinGray
  • Topic Author

ColinGray created the topic: AIRMET and SIGMET

Dear All,

I have 2 questions about SIGMET and AIRMET please.

1. Am I correct in a brief summary as follows?
SIGMET is severe weather Up to Upper Airspace Limit(ref?) within an area bound by airfield designators or coordinates, or along routes. Icing and severe turbulence are givenfor levels above FL185
AIRMET is changes to an ARFOR for the said ARFOR area below FL200(see question about this below)

2. From AIP GEN3.5-17 AIRMET is for FL200 and below, however the bom.com.au site says its FL185 and below? Which one for the exam?

Much thanks
Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: AIRMET and SIGMET

Hi Colin,

The SIGMET description has changed somewhat and there does not seem to be a distinction made about SIGMETs given above FL185 apart from saying there is a blanket coverage of icing and turbulence reporting fr all of YBBB and YMMM down to 50 degrees South lattitude. Icing and turbulence will still be reported below FL185 though but only for those areas shaded on the chart on page GEN 3.5 - 12.

You can check out the latest AIP version here :

www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/aip/general.pdf

The AIP also says AIRMETs are for ops up to FL200 and that is what I would use. I suspect the BOM site is yet to be updated.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds