Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed a challenging CPL Air Law - 88%

• harrykay
  • Topic Author

harrykay created the topic: Passed a challenging CPL Air Law - 88%

G'day all,

Earlier this arvo, I attempted and passed my 3rd CPL theory exam - Air Law; and while I'm thrilled to report I scored 88%, this was no easy feat, as I nearly exhausted my 2 hour time limit by the time I had finished revising all my answers. As a matter of fact, I found this exam harder than Aerody, with many questions engaging in the typical CASA wordplay. I thought I might be done within 30-45 mins - nothing could have been further from the truth!

Key takeaways and tips:

- As always, BT's text and online exams are the way to go. THere are a number of question banks within the text - make sure you try and attempt them all. If, in the online exam, you consistently score in the mid 90's, you should be ok.

- BT has laid emphasis on 48.1 which covers FDP; though I was only asked two questions on this, practising enough of these should keep you comfortable in terms of finding the relevant information from the CAO during the exam in a timely and accurate manner

- My question bank practically covered content from across the CAO/CASR/CAR extracts that I had downloaded off BT's website. If you find buying the entire CAO/CASR/CAR sets too expensive or bulky, BT's extract should suffice. Remember, the same rules for tagging/highlighting etc apply to the extract as they do to other supporting materials such as the AIP and ERSA - Also, ensure you bind the extracts, else you won't be allowed to use it during the exam (I paid around $30.00 to Officeworks to print it and professionally bind it for me - they actioned my request within 2 hours of my uploading the extract online through their website - neat eh!)

- Be THOROUGHLY familiar with your AIP. I found myself rummaging across my AIP a lot and while I'm sure this would have served me good practice for my upcoming IREX next year, I do believe I should have been more familiar with where stuff was in my AIP rather than constantly looking at the index references. I reckon this is what slowed me down during the exam.

Final thougths -

I only gave myself around 8 days to prepare (and that's with full time work) and I found it sufficient. A word of advice - try to not get too comfortable in the knowledge that a lot of the content is a repeat from RPL/PPL syllabi - as I said before, there is reasonable amount of wordplay in the questions which will really get you thinking. Having said that, 2 hours is sufficient time to finish and like every other test, if you are well prepared and can also draw practical knowledge and experience from your PPL/CPL flying, you'll be fine.

Now, off to CMET in 2 weeks - Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year and Decade 2020!

Cheers,
HK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MissSoph

MissSoph replied the topic: Passed a challenging CPL Air Law - 88%

Wow... 8 days of study... amazing... can you help me out....im about to embark on my 5 th exam now.... Law... I’m feeling rather daunted by the sheer volume of the manuals you have to reference.... so any more advice is welcome to be sent my way ....also I see in the front of bobs study book you can download the publications from casa website... which would be great for me to study on the go... but how do I do that? Is there a cost?

• harrykay
  • Topic Author

harrykay replied the topic: Passed a challenging CPL Air Law - 88%

You'll find the the relevant tailor-made extracts at www.bobtait.com.au/extracts - they will suffice.

I can certainly understand your reticence, this was actually one exam I walked out of with a headache lol - the more the manuals and docs the more gruelling it seems. Its not so bad - the key is to efficiently locate the relevant act and/or page to find the answer you're after - practice makes perfect :)

Furthermore, you'll get a limit of 10 tags per supporting doc (i.e. 10 tags in the ERSA, AIP and the CAO/CASR extracts respectively). Make sure you use your highlighter abundantly but DO NOT WRITE anything within the supporting docs else you'll be unable to use it - essentially its the same rules that apply for the RPL and PPL theory exams.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds