Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL Air Law question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

• KevinB
  • Topic Author

KevinB created the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

Hi. I’d just like to obtain confirmation as to when the CPL Air Law exam will cease to include questions from the old Fatigue Risk Management model ie CAO 48.

Then, I’d appreciate assistance with 3 of the questions in the new Fatigue Risk Management section (pages 93 to 138), that is to be inserted in the textbook.

Page 109, Question 3. Flying instructor, commenced FDP at 0900 LMT. Latest time at which you can conduct flying training with a student? The answer given is 1600 LMT, which is 0900 LMT plus 7 hours. I am querying this with reference to Appendix 1 para 2.6. This indicates that flight training is to be conducted within the first 7 hours of the FDP’s flight time. The answer indicates that the flying training must be conducted within the first 7 hours of the FDP, which does not appear to be correct. The answer may be at a later time than 1600 LMT? (A similar query arises on page 123, question 2).

Page 125, Question 11. Called out at 1230 LMT from standby to commence FDP at 1430 LMT. Standby commenced at 0700 LMT. Latest time at which FDP must be completed. Answer 2200 LMT. I follow the solution’s calculation. So, does the period between being called out and the start of the FDP (2 hours) not count as standby? Is this period classified as rest?

Page 125, Question 13. Commenced FDP 3am Tuesday and another at 5am on Wednesday. If no reductions are made, the maximum number of FDPs commencing between 2am and 6am before next Tuesday is. Answer: 1. My first query is, what is the significance of the time period 2am to 6am. The version of CAO 48.1 that I have defines and early start as 0500 to 0659 local time. Secondly, the notes provided for this answer (page 127) indicate that the maximum number of early starts per week is 3. However, Appendix 4 11.1 does not limit the 3 consecutive early starts to any specific period. Presumably, that means during a week, there can be 3 consecutive early starts then 1 local night off, then another 3 consecutive early starts. So, the answer may be 4 (instead of 1)?

Many thanks,
Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stuart Tait

Stuart Tait replied the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

48.1 is the current instrument in force and is used in the exams

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

Kevin
You are correct concerning the question on Page 109. The reference to the first seven hours is to flight time not duty time.
We are in the process of revising the questions on flight/duty times and I'll send you the revised questions and answers when they are done. It's quite a task keeping up with the constant revisions in this topic and a little depressing to know that is will continue into the future. Sorry for the delay in this reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevinB

• KevinB
  • Topic Author

KevinB replied the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

Thanks Bob. I'm also working through your exam prep questions. I'd appreciate your assistance with two questions from the first prep paper to put my mind at ease before I sit the exam on Saturday morning.

There is a question stating:
"Your company operates under CAO 48.1 Appendix 5 2019
In the fortnight prior to the end of a proposed FDP your off-duty periods must include an off-duty period of at least-"

My answer was:
"36 hours including two consecutive nights off plus the intervening day"

This was marked incorrect. The explanation given is:
"Appendix 5 para 5.2 (a)
You must have 36 hours off including two local nights. That makes the answer 36 hours
including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night
The correct answer is: 36 hours including two consecutive days off plus the intervening night"

This question is identical to question 12 in the FRMS handout for CAO 48.1. Yet, in that handout, the answer is: "36 hours including two consecutive nights off plus the intervening day"

Another of the exam prep questions I'm having trouble with is:
"Your company operates under the requirements of CAO 48.1 Appendix 4 2019
You have commenced a FDP at 3am on Tuesday and another at 5am on Wednesday. If no
reductions are made, the maximum number of FDPs commencing between 2 am and 6 am
before the next Tuesday is-"

My answer was:
"4"

This was marked incorrect. The explanation given is:
"Appendix 4 para 11.3
The maximum number of consecutive early starts permitted in any week (168 hours) is 3
The correct answer is: 3"

However, Appendix 4 11.1 does not limit the 3 consecutive early starts to any specific period. Presumably, that means during a week, there can be 3 consecutive early starts then 1 local night off, then another 3 consecutive early starts. So, the answer may be 4 (instead of 1)?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

Your interpretation is correct on both . It seems the wording of that appendix has been changed since the question was written. Thanks for your feedback.

1035086 replied the topic: Fatigue Risk Management Models CAO 48 and CAO 48.1

Dear Bob Tait,

Good day to you. As i came across this topic, on page 109, I also have a question on Q5.
You commenced a FDP at 1000 LMT Punctured a wheel and decide to fix it. Latest time you should return to base is:
The answer given was 2000 LMT.

My interpretation was since the FDP was started at 1000, the maximum FDP hours should 8hrs, which puts us at 1800 LMT is not extensions were taken. If extensions were taken, it should not be more than 1 hour which puts us at 1900 LMT.

Can you advise why is it 2000 LMT?
Thank you so much.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds