Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Add 50' to minima when using area QNH?

• kelstorm
  • Topic Author

kelstorm created the topic: Add 50' to minima when using area QNH?

So I was studying the trusty ol' Bob Tait IREX Study guide and I've found something that I'm not sure about.

Question 42 in Revision Exercise 5 (page 5.73) asks what additional requirements are imposed when using area QNH for a non-precision approach at an AD that has no TAF. The answer is given as 'add 50 feet to the published MDA' and the reference for this is AIP ENR1.5 para5.3.3, which does indeed say

"Where the forecast area QNH is used, the minima used must be increased by 50FT"

But DAP 1-3, para 1-11 advises

"All ASA instrument approach procedures include this adjustment where a regular TAF service is not available. No adjustment is necessary to meet the requirement of AIP for those aerodromes. When an aerodrome receives a regular TAF service and the TAF is not available the AIP paragraph is applicable."

This sounds like actually, if using the area QNH at an AD with no TAF, the published minima can be used as is. Is that the case?

Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds