Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Flight Over water

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: Flight Over water

Dear BT (or who ever could help)

I'm a bit lost with regards to flight over water regulations. There seems to be a contradiction between the ENR's, CAR 258 and CAO 20.11 I realise there may just be some logic that I'm missing but my train has turned to jelly to try and figure it out. :sick:

CAO 20.11.5.1.1 states:
Aircraft shall be equipped with 1 life jacket for each occupant when the aircraft is over water and at a distance from land:
(a) in the case of a single engine aircraft — greater than that which would allow the aircraft to reach land with the engine inoperative; and
(b) in the case of multi-engine aircraft — greater than 50 miles

But ENR 1.1 - 100 (1.1.62) says

ENR 1.1-100 (1.1.62.3)
"There is no limitation for PVT, AWK or Freight only CHTR operations"

and Lastly the CAR 258 "The pilot in command of the aircraft must not fly over water at a distance from land greater than the distance from which the aircraft could reach land if the engine, or, in the case of a multi engined aircraft, the critical engine (.......) were inoperative."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Flight Over water

CAR 258 goes on to say 'except as directed by CASA. CAO 20.11.5.1 is a CASA direction, so providing you carry life jackets or life raft as appropriate you can fly over water and, in the case of private and aerial work, there is no limitation to the distance you can fly over water providing CAO 20.11.5.1 is complied with.

Welcome to the world of lawyer talk!!!

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter replied the topic: Flight Over water

Ah yes.....lawyer talk....the root of all evil :),

Tx Bob

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds