Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Maths issue?

• BBird
  • Topic Author

BBird created the topic: Maths issue?

Bob I am half way through the performance study for CPL, I am using your text and finding it helpful. There is however one constant issue I cant seem to resolve. In solving fuel requirements you use dividing by 1.15 to exclude the 15% variable reserve from the total fuel. Now this all makes sense until I realised that dividing by 1.15 doesnt actually subtract 15% from a number, it very nearly does but not quite. For example 300us gallons becomes 261 to 1 decimal place if you devide by 1.15 . If you take 15% from 300us gallons it actually becomes 255us gallons. Now obviously this is only a difference of 6 gallons but in the grand scheme of things is this important? I can not explain to you mathematically why you get a correct percentage when you add using your method but I do know when you subtract it is slightly incorrect.

As always, thanks for your help.

Ben Bird.

Sent from my iPad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Maths issue?

Giday Ben

The variable reserve is 15% of the flight fuel. So when you have removed the fixed reserve and taxi fuel, you are left with 115% of the flight fuel. Let's use your example. If you subtracted the fixed reserve and the taxi fuel from the total fuel on board at take-off and ended up with 300 US gallons, that 300 gallons would represent 115% of the flight fuel. So the variable reserve is not 15% of 300 - it is 15% of the unknown flight fuel. You can find the flight fuel by dividing 300 by 1.15, that gives us 261 gallons.

Proof: The flight fuel of 261 gallons plus the variable reserve which is 15% of 261 [39 gallons]
and 261 + 39 = 300.

All the best with your study........

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds