Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Radio message in CTA on descent to assigned altitude

• MCG
  • Topic Author

MCG created the topic: Radio message in CTA on descent to assigned altitude

In my recent Air Law exam on questions asked for the radio calls to ATC when descending from 6000 to 4000 in CTA

My answer was
“Leaving 6000”
“Maintaining 4000”
I got it wrong

One other answer option was
“Leaving 6000”
“Approaching 4000”

I think this was the correct answer but I can not find this in any of the books.
I thought it may be in AIP but can’t find it

Can anyone help me with the correct radio calls to ATC in this circumstance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DahdahDididahditDidah

DahdahDididahditDidah replied the topic: Radio message in CTA on descent to assigned altitude

From experience in busy European airspace, a lot depends how high above your anticipated (comfort level) approach profile ATC has held you! Some airports are more notorious than others for doing this. Exam questions are often short on scenario.

Nevertheless, if you feel you've been held too high too long, then: "approaching XYZ [level] or [altitude], anticipating further decent," can reinforce your need to avoid spilling the last of the G & Ts with a last minute "white knuckle one alpha" descent!

• MCG
  • Topic Author

MCG replied the topic: Radio message in CTA on descent to assigned altitude

Cheers DDDDDDD
In fact this isn’t relative to a scenario or pressure from ATC, it’s simply what is the correct Radio call to ATC when you reach or are reaching the new assigned level on descent in CTA?
I assumed it is the same as on climb when you reach the signed level you say “maintaining 8000” for example
Mind you with ADSB now, I keep getting told off for saying anything because they can see me!!

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds