Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

AGK Internal vs External Supercharging

• JesseStewart97
  • Topic Author

JesseStewart97 created the topic: AGK Internal vs External Supercharging

Hi, I had a question regarding the terminology of superchargers.

In the Bob Tait book it refers Internal/External superchargers as whether the compressor is located before or after the carburettor, and then further classifies a supercharger on whether it is Gear-driven or a Turbo charger.

However I noticed in other books they seem to use generic terms and refer to any gear driven supercharger as being "internal" and any Turbo charger as being "External", and they don't seem to clarify any further.

My question is that in the book it states that fuel injected engines are generally "external", but I can't understand what difference it would make if the compressor was located before or after the butterfly valve? Is it possible to have either an internal-gear driven supercharger, or an external-gear driven supercharger?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: AGK Internal vs External Supercharging

Actually, I have deleted reference to external or internal superchargers. I have found conflicting definitions and, in any case, external superchargers are found mainly in museums these days. The modern turbochargers are generally described as internal. There is no chance the exam will mention those terms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JesseStewart97

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds