Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the enquiries forum. this is the place to ask questions relating to our books, our courses or the school. If you have a more specific problem relating to aviation theory, check out the Question and Answer forums. That's the best place to post your technical questions.

Flight Information Service procedures

• Thank you received: 0

hazza4257 created the topic: Flight Information Service procedures

Gday all, just thumbing through the book “Flight Radio for Pilots (VFR)” which is proving to be quite beneficial as it puts all the various AIP references and regulations into one clear summary.

However it is claiming you need to address all requests for flight related info, eg area QNH, to “[Melbourne/Brisbane] Center FLIGHTWATCH” and refers to an AIP section which no longer says this.

Honestly I think the AIP GEN 3.3 is overly vague and confusing as far as distinguishing the different information/surveillance services ATC can provide OCTA. Not once does it mention VFR flight following, but the AIP glossary explains this is the so called Surveillance Information Service.

Anyway, I’m just wondering what people think because whenever I need to request QNH I don’t bother prefixing it with “flightwatch.” I just say “Melbourne centre, ABC with a request” and then “ABC, [approx location], request area QNH.”

I think is the correct procedure per the up to date AIP reference.
3.3.8 On-Request Service - ATC and FLIGHTWATCH
3.3.8.1 An On-Request FIS is available to aircraft in all classes of airspace on ATC VHF or HF (Domestic and International) frequencies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds