Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL AGK question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Failed my Test and Will resit again...

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 created the topic: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Hi Bob,

I had sat my AGK exam and am very disappointed with my performance. I only got 68% (just need 2 more marks to pass). I really struggle with some of the answers rather than the question itself.

I just want to share some of the info regarding the test which I just sat this week.

1. The first question asking about the separate static vent n pitot tube. What happen if the pitot blocked when climbing? What the pilot will notice?
A. VSI and Alt is zero
B. The a/c nose increasingly down to maintain the climb speed
C. The a/c nose increasingly up to maintain the climb speed
D. none
E. VSI is zero

(This Q really puzzled me. I know that if pitot tube blocked, the next thing is the a/c over read when climbing and under read when descending, but the answers here really confuse me... anyway I picked B for this answer BUT i got it wrong)

2. They ask a lot about centre zero ammeter and alternator failure. For example, the battery has 24V in flight, when alternator failed what the voltage gonna read?

3. The colors of AVGAS and AVTUR

4. What happen when AVGAS + AVTUR

5. The turning error in South Hemisphere... Which one will give the greatest error reading?
A. 345
B. 050
C. 245
D. 085

6. What happen if the upstream of the turbocharge leaks? What happen to the output?

7. What do we need to be aware when using turbocharge? they have two answers that confused me...
A. Care should be taken to avoid the effect of the induction icing
B. throttle should b applied gradually

(I chose B as I thought throttle should b applied gradually so it's not overboost, ANYWAY , i got this wrong)

8. When the carbo heat should b applied? Two answers puzzled me again.
A. All the time during flight when through the cloud.
B. Use the Carbo heat interminently

(I chose B as we only apply carbo heat when there's a icing occur and turn them off again... and if the symptom appears we apply the carbo heat again... so, i thought this is what it meant by interminently...ANYWAY, i also got this one wrong...)

9. Also, I got my question wrong regarding the type of fire extinguisher that should b use in unpressurized a/c? and also regarding the fire detector?

10. I also got wrong regarding both of my magnetos questions... One of them, they ask about the way to check the magnetos? (I chose the both and left and right check BUT i got it wrong... and some other answer mentioned to switch off the master switch and so on...)

The other one is if Both to left magnetos, there no rpm drop... and then both to right, there's is rpm drop...
A. R is 'live'
B. L is working...
C. R is working
D. L is 'live'

(This Q really give me a headache, I thought the R one is not working and L is working normally... ANYWAY i chose B BUT i got it wrong)...

11. They also ask two questions regarding static vent and what happened if it's blocked...
This is easy as we all know that Altimeter will read from where it's blocked and ASI will under read when climbing n over read when descending...

12. The good way to align the DI? Two answers will confuse you...
A. level flight
B. on d ground and unaccelerated a/c ( I chose B and I got this right)

13. What happen when the oil pressure fluctuate?

14. Why the Manifold Pressure got very high reading?

15. The function of Inverter (this is easy)...

16. How to calculate the amps? refer to Bob Tait's book on page 4.21 (AGK book)

17. The function of PRV (Pressure Relief Valve)? I got this wrong as all the answers confused me... BUT i know that it tries to send back the the fluid back to reservoir if the pressure build up to a critical level...

18. One question on fuel flow gauge...

19. The conditions conducive to ice formation (Throttle icing) ... Two answers confused me...
A. Temp below -4
B. Temp -10 to 22

(I chose A and I got this wrong)...

20. What symptoms of carburetor icing? The compare it with Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge...

21. What is meant by best power mixture?
A. peak EGT
B. leaner than EGT
C. slight richer than EGT
D. fully rich

(I got this right)

22. What do u do if CHT too low on descent?

23. They also twist the Q into, what will u expect with CHT on descent?

24. What happen to CSU unit if it's run out of oil? WHat happen to d propeller?

25. Waste Gate operation...

This is what I can remember guys... GOOD TIPS for u all... BTW, I will attempt my next AGK exam with cautious...
WE all know the questions, BUT CASA can b considered smart in twisting the answers... So PLS do not expect the answer come straightforward out of the book... Anyway, thank you Bob Tait..

Cheers,
Gib

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Good Luck

Hi Gib, have a look at my post here www.bobtait.com.au/forum/general-knowled...-passed-85-some-tips and you'll see that you are not alone. I too beleived that I had nailed these answers in Bob;s text books, but the CASA questions were downright aweful.

I do note that you have a very good memory to be able to recall all this detail, so my suggestion is to just try and work through each and every question by 'elimination' - that is what is absolutely wrong, then look at the 'most likely' right answer.

I am confident that Bob or Richard will answer your questions in due course.

Wish you well.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

See my comments below.
1. The first question asking about the separate static vent n pitot tube. What happen if the pitot blocked when climbing? What the pilot will notice?
A. VSI and Alt is zero
B. The a/c nose increasingly down to maintain the climb speed
C. The a/c nose increasingly up to maintain the climb speed
D. none
E. VSI is zero
There seems to be two correct answers here. The airspeed indicator progressively under reads on a climb if the static vent is blocked. So you would need to have a lower nose attitude to keep a given IAS [answer B]. The VSI would read zero during the climb because the static pressure sensed by the instrumet is not changing.

2. They ask a lot about centre zero ammeter and alternator failure. For example, the battery has 24V in flight, when alternator failed what the voltage gonna read?
A centre zero ammeter reads the current flowing to or from the battery. An ammeter has nothing to do with voltage. A volt meter is a different instrument. It reads the system voltage - which should remain constatnt. Before start up, a voltmeter will read the battery voltage - 12 or 24 depending on the system you have. After start up, the voltmeter will read the alternator's voltage, which is higher than the battery - 14 or 28 depending on the system.

3. The colors of AVGAS and AVTUR

4. What happen when AVGAS + AVTUR
AVTUR has a lower octane rating than AVGAS. It doesn't need a high octane rating because jet engines don't burn the fuel in a closed cylinder. A mixture of AVGAS and AVTUR would promote the possibility of detonation.

5. The turning error in South Hemisphere... Which one will give the greatest error reading?
A. 345
B. 050
C. 245
D. 085
Turning errors are greatest on north and south and there are no turning errors on east and west. The greatest error would occur on the one that is closest to north - 345.

6. What happen if the upstream of the turbocharge leaks? What happen to the output?
A leak upstream of the turbine means less gas is available to drive the turbine so power would decrease [a drop in manifold pressure]. However in a system with automatic boost control, the waste gate would automatically close a little to compensate for the lead so the pilot would most likely not notice until he/she reached critical altitude on climb. He/she would then notice that critical altitude would occur a a lower level than usual.

7. What do we need to be aware when using turbocharge? they have two answers that confused me...
A. Care should be taken to avoid the effect of the induction icing
B. throttle should b applied gradually

(I chose B as I thought throttle should b applied gradually so it's not overboost, ANYWAY , i got this wrong)
That seems strange to me. Induction icing would have nothing to do with it. Firstly, it is very unlikely at take-off power and secondly, it would be most unusual to have a turbocharged engine that is not fuel injected - so there should be no icing. I too would pick B.

8. When the carbo heat should b applied? Two answers puzzled me again.
A. All the time during flight when through the cloud.
B. Use the Carbo heat interminently
The air that goes through the heat exchanger is not filtered. Also hot air is likely to promote detonation at high power. So the correct way to use carby heat is to wait until you have symptoms of carby icing and then apply full carby heat to get rid of the ice. The carby heat is then returned to the cold position and used again if the symptoms occur. You should not us carby heat continuously. So I agree with you. Answer B.

(I chose B as we only apply carbo heat when there's a icing occur and turn them off again... and if the symptom appears we apply the carbo heat again... so, i thought this is what it meant by interminently...ANYWAY, i also got this one wrong...)

9. Also, I got my question wrong regarding the type of fire extinguisher that should b use in unpressurized a/c? and also regarding the fire detector?
I would need more information on this one. However, carbon dioxide extinguishers are nearly always used inside the aircraft cabin. Fire detectors are situated near each cylinder head inside the engine cowl. When they become heated, they begin to conduct the electric current and the warning system is activated.

10. I also got wrong regarding both of my magnetos questions... One of them, they ask about the way to check the magnetos? (I chose the both and left and right check BUT i got it wrong... and some other answer mentioned to switch off the master switch and so on...)
The magneto check is usually from BOTH to LEFT, then back to BOTH. Then BOTH to RIGHT and back to BOTH.

The other one is if Both to left magnetos, there no rpm drop... and then both to right, there's is rpm drop...
A. R is 'live'
B. L is working...
C. R is working
D. L is 'live'
If there is no RPM drop when you select the left magneto, it could mean that the right magneto is not turning off i.e. it is 'live'. If that is the case, you would get a normal RPM drop when the right magneto is selected. The other possibility is that the right magneto is not working at all. In that case you will get a 'dead cut' when the right magneto is selected.

(This Q really give me a headache, I thought the R one is not working and L is working normally... ANYWAY i chose B BUT i got it wrong)...

11. They also ask two questions regarding static vent and what happened if it's blocked...
This is easy as we all know that Altimeter will read from where it's blocked and ASI will under read when climbing n over read when descending...
If the static sourse is blocked, the ASI will over read on descent. Just remember that it does the most dangerous thing - it tells you that you are going faster than you actually are. The ASI would under read on climb.

12. The good way to align the DI? Two answers will confuse you...
A. level flight
B. on d ground and unaccelerated a/c ( I chose B and I got this right)
The DI should be set to match the compass only in unaccelerated flight i.e. with the aircraft in equilibrium. Straight and level, straight climb or straight descent. If anything is changing, speed or direction, the compass is likely to have errors.

13. What happen when the oil pressure fluctuate?
Most likely very low oil level in the sump causing the pump to suck air occasionally.

14. Why the Manifold Pressure got very high reading?
In a turbo charged engine this could be a waste gate stuck closed.

15. The function of Inverter (this is easy)...

16. How to calculate the amps? refer to Bob Tait's book on page 4.21 (AGK book)

17. The function of PRV (Pressure Relief Valve)? I got this wrong as all the answers confused me... BUT i know that it tries to send back the the fluid back to reservoir if the pressure build up to a critical level...
The pressure relief valve is there to protect the system from too much pressure in the event of a failure of the pressure regulator. Most of the time the PRV does nothing. It is really a second line of defence against a pressure surge.

18. One question on fuel flow gauge...

19. The conditions conducive to ice formation (Throttle icing) ... Two answers confused me...
A. Temp below -4
B. Temp -10 to 22

(I chose A and I got this wrong)...
Could be that the correct answer was a higher temperature such as +15°C and a humid day. Carburettor ice does not require the outside air temperature to be below zero.

20. What symptoms of carburetor icing? The compare it with Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge...
An EGT wont tell you anything about the likelihood of carby ice.

21. What is meant by best power mixture?
A. peak EGT
B. leaner than EGT
C. slight richer than EGT
D. fully rich
Best power is always rich of peak.

(I got this right)

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Hi Gib,

Just another thing about Q.1: it looks like they might have been asking about a blocked pitot. If the pitot is blocked only the ASI will be affected since it is the only instrument which uses the total pressure coming in from the pitot head. Therefore with a blocked pitot, the altimeter and VSI will be unaffected and read normally.

The ASI on the other hand will progressively over read as the aircraft climbs. With a blocked pitot, there is a fixed amount of total pressure trapped in the pressure diaphragm inside the instrument and the line leading from the blocked pitot. As the aircraft climbs and the static pressure drops, the increased pressure differential between the total pressure inside the pressure diaphragm and the static pressure inside the case will cause the diaphragm to expand. This expansion translates into an increasing airspeed indication. The pilot will notice this and try to maintain climb airspeed by raising the nose.

If the question talks about the pitot being blocked, I would go for option C.

Cheers,

Rich

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: Good Luck

Hi Brent,

Thanks for ur message.. We all learn something new everyday anyway... I will do my best for my second attempt of the AGK...

Cheers,
Gib

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Thanks you so much Bob for all the comments that u've supplied above... Really appreciate it... Will contact again if i have questions in the future...

Gib

• pilot_5100
  • Topic Author

pilot_5100 replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Hi Rich,

It's too complicated for me to understand when it comes to twisting the answers rather than straight to the point. I guess this is how CASA works... Thanks for the explanations... It really makes my life easier...

Cheers,
Gib

• DkBb

DkBb replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Hey Guys!
Just thought would share a technique on questions about blocked pitot tube and static vent.
Its called

PUDSUC, it states for
Pitot tube under read on a descent and Static vent under reads on a climb.

it is really good, and easy to remember PUDSUC.

hope it helps, any other questions or help, feel free to ask. I love AGK. :)

Cheers,
DK

• helijen

helijen replied the topic: Re: Failed my Test and Will resit again...

Sat AGK on Monday and had many of the same questions ...and also failed due to them! So frustrating but thanks for sharing Gib and for the community's reponses - useful for when I resit in a couple of week!

Want to double-check Bob's responses for accuracy though... my questions/thoughts in blue...

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds