Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× If you have any suggestions on how we can improve this site or if you are having problems with any our products e.g. books, cyberexams or the website, please use this forum to let us know. Technical questions on subjects can be posted to the "Questions and Answers" section below.

I did not pass my IREX exam.

• Chocoholic
  • Topic Author

Chocoholic created the topic: I did not pass my IREX exam.

Hi Bob,

I just got back from my IREX exam. I did poorly. Most of the questions that I thought it was right, I got them wrong:( I did self-study using the Instrument Rating Study Guide. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I seriously do need help on how to study IREX again?

choco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: I did not pass my IREX exam.

Choco

What a bummer! There's not much you can do but go back over the sections in your KDR. I suggest you walk away from it for a while and when you are over the disappointment hit the books again. Did you do the cyber practice exams as well? Remember you are not alone, it's not uncommon for students to miss out on the first attempt. Don't let it get you down. If you run into trouble with your study, send me an e-mail with your questions and I'll do my best to answer it.

• Chocoholic
  • Topic Author

Chocoholic replied the topic: Re: I did not pass my IREX exam.

Thank you Bob.

I have not try the cyber practice exams, not sure on how to download them?

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: IREX exam.

Hi Choco, Even though I passed my exam, I was so dismayed with the quality of the Q&A that I wrote to CASA and ended up giving feedback to one of their most senior people.

In short, their questions were ambiguous and their answers were sometimes absolutely wrong in the context of their questions. I also gave them feedback on their unwillingness to accept feedback (if that makes sense). They seem to have the view that we can simply just pay up and cop it sweet.

Having said all that, I'd suggest that if you have a local flying instructor or chief pilot, you sit down with a list of questions and just try and absorb the basics. The actual nav aid stuff is pretty straight forward but the AIP/ERSA etc can be a convoluted mess so it is just a matter of knowing - as Bob says - where to look and how to interpret things.

Take a breather and just start again and I am sure you will succeed next time. Use this forum and others will no doubt provide assistance as required.

Good luck.

Go to the web page and click on Cyber Exams. It will take you to this page:

www.bobtait.com.au/index.php?option=com_...icle&id=11&Itemid=28

You can purchase the IREX practice cyber exams on-line.

• captainellzy

captainellzy replied the topic: Re: I did not pass my IREX exam.

Good on you Brenton for voicing your concerns. It's quite sad to hear (not that I expected otherwise) that our governing body for aviation SAFETY, is not too concerned about how their candidates pass their exams.

They're breeding a mentality of, "I'll know what I need to know to pass the CASA exams and nothing more because, what's the point?"

- Rant over.

Chocoholic, that sucks indeed, I absolutely know how it feels to fail an exam :P Get stuck into the forum and definitely give the cyber exams a go. Fingers crossed for next time.

Cheers

It is understandable that there is some disappointment when you do not pass an exam or don't do as well as you had hoped. That's only natural. However, at the risk of being accused of going over to the dark side, I must add that many of the individuals I have dealt with in the authority are just ordinary blokes doing their best in a very restrictive environment.

In the 50 years since I got my PPL I have dealt with the Department of Civil Aviation [DCA], the Department of Aviation [DOA], the Department of Transport [DOT], the Civil Aviation Authority [CAA] and now the Civil Aviation Safety Authority [CASA].

It has become clear to me that we are all victims of the system and hurling abuse at those in authority, even when it may be justified, is counter-productive. They will simply dig their heels in and it will get you nowhere. If you can't beat the system, you must learn to work within it. Keep going - you'll get there!

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Re: I did not pass my IREX exam.

Bob, I do not think that healthy criticism is 'hurling abuse'. Simply highliting how the 'syatem' has become overly beurocratic. Like you I have also dealt with the organisation as it has become what it is today - and I have to say it has not become user friendly.

Brenton

I agree with you. Healthy criticism is exactly what is needed. I certainly wasn't suggesting that your contribution was 'hurling abuse'. I'm sure your comments were constructive and to the point as they always are. Like you I think that it is the system that is the problem - not the individuals within it. What is needed is an industry body that can represent the collective opinion of people like us. Governments don't listen to individuals - neither within or without.

• brentonrule

brentonrule replied the topic: Exams and CASA

Thanks Bob, I think that the best thing we can all do is to - as you say - just get on with it. The best way to do that is to have the knowledge so that whatever ambiguities the CASA exam contains, we can answer the questions. And again, your books and the years of dedication from you and your team makes what could be a minefield, a much easier road. Having looked at other study texts, I cannot imagine passing these exams without your excellent and logical texts.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds