Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Bob's July 2011 IREX Course

• dtrembath

dtrembath replied the topic: Re: Bob's July 2011 IREX Course

:) Hi guys (got the last one worked out OK .. as I studied further)

Have IREX Exam tomorrow (Tuesday) and a couple of niggly ones that should be quick to resolve

1. In a TAF (prevailing conditions below minima) we have this also:
FM 240500 SCT010 CB INTER 3000 TS

Does this mean that the prevailing conditions since 0500 is SCT 010 CB (is now OK and no mention of VIS so assume I 9999) and the TEMPO only refers to the 3000 TS. Makes difference to deciding on alternate or not.

2. ENR 1.1 1.15.1 (Page 11) says for CAT B, MAX speed for reversal procedure is 140knots (ie has a *), yet the range for initial/intermediate segments are 120-180 ..... therefore I assume we are limited to 140knots from the beginning of the Reversal Procedure YET some reversal procedures still have the "open triangle" and "Maltese Cross" on them (example: AYERS ROCK NDB RWY 31)... seems to be confusing.

:unsure: Also, NOTES on DAP usually has "IAS MAX INITIAL xxxknots" (I assume we use the "initial" max on the DAP chart, otherwise, I asume we choose the least of the given maximums.

Regards
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Westcott
  • Topic Author

Westcott replied the topic: Re: Bob's July 2011 IREX Course

David

How did you go in the exam? I'm sure you sailed through!!

Mark

• dtrembath

Hi Mark

No .... Just missed out ...68%
Probably had to expect it given the situation with my brother .. Not able to really study properly.
That being said ... I was concerned with a couple of questions and at least one of them I'll take up with CASA ... Who do you talk to !!!!!!!!!
Had a look through my KDR's and I reckon I've worked out where about 5 or so silly slips were costly ..... I was fairly confident going in, but some of the wording #£€¥#%}£%

Interestingly, there were three others doing IREX exam .... All full-time aviation students at UniSA and ALL of them failed ... One of them was quite upset at the end ..... We all had a chat afterwards and really, there was little similarity in any of the questions we all got ....

Had lots of question on controlled airspace and entry to CTA from Class G .... In particular, one that threw me (and still can't find any reference to it) .... "Class G into Class E .. What is structue of radio call". ..." another, "Departing on a SID (with some heading inf allocated) .... what is structue/content of radio report .... will need to chase this stuff up ....

Tried to rebook exam .... But ASL site is down for a couple of days ..... Maybe I just shouldn't have got up this morning ....

Need to keep all these damm books out all over the kitchen table (only one big enough) for a while longer.

OH .. Here's one: GS =150knots and a 3.5° approach path. Required ROD is ..... if you convert this to the approriate CG% and x 150 you get 875 ... Neat ... However, 875 is not a choice, 2 of the choices are 800 and 950, both 75 away from 875. If you go to the charts (DAP intro pages are best DAP 2-1) you'll find the answer is much closer to 950.

Also, from this question, we have been saying that 3° = 5%, therefore 3.5° equates to about 5.8333%. However, the DAP chart says that 3.5% equates to about just over 6.1% ...... Go figure .....

It's about 3am .... I'm off to bed ........

Regards
David

• Westcott
  • Topic Author

Westcott replied the topic: Re: Bob's July 2011 IREX Course

Hi David
Sorry to hear! Just 1 question, how frustrating.....
Yes, some questions are just strange...
Anyway, maybe it was just a bad day. I'm sure you'll fly through next time and pass with flying colours!
Cheers, Mark

• dtrembath

Hi all
2 quick questions for clarification re lighting and alternate:

Stated is:
"However, if the only reason for nominating the alternate is due to there being no backup for the destination's electric lighting or PAL system, then the alternate aerodrome need not have standby power or portable lighting?

An alternate aerodrome may have PAL, provided:
[a] there is a responsible person in attendance; OR
the aircraft is fitted with dual VHF OR
[c] the aircraft is fitted with single VHF and HF, and carries 30 minutes holding fuel over and above all other fuel requirements"

:blush: Does this mean if the Alternate HAS STBY PWR Available then it OK as an alternate without considering anything else (re lighting)

ALSO

If you have done an RNAV approach within 90 days .. does this cover you for a GPS/DME arrival recency

Regards
David

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Bob's July 2011 IREX Course

First question. Assuming weather and navigation aids are not a problem, the alternate you choose need not have standby power and it may be PAL activated providing you meet the requirements in [c]. Note also that if you don't have HF, you would need 2 VHFs. If the alternate does have standby power, that of course is OK, but it's not a requirement.

An RNAV/GNSS approach and a GPS Arrival are two completely separate procedures. Recency on one would not cover you for the other.

• dtrembath

Thanks Bob

So, for the alternate (if required due to lighting at destination)has weather and navigation aids not being a problem AND it has STBY PWR then then that is all that is necessary to allow it to be a legitimate alternate (need to worry about PAL at all) ...

Regards
David

If you meet the requirements in [c], it doesn't matter whether the alternate has standby power or not, or is PAL operated, it will still be suitable as an alternate.

If you meet those requirements [2 VHFs or 1 VHF + 1 HF + 30 holding], the alternate you choose is OK with or without standby power. And it can be PAL with no person.

• dtrembath

Hi Bob

:woohoo: Sorry about this .. but I'm still a little worried (confused I think I'm trying to say) ..

Take Rottnest Island ERSA (page 524) for instance (as an alternate selection due to lighting). DAP indicates it has an NBD approach therefore OK and assume weather is OK.

YRTI has only LIRl (emergency). So, is YRTI OK provided you have 2 @ VHF's OR 1 VHF/1HF and 30 min extra holding).

Regards
David

In that case, you would have to make arragements with the aerodrome operator. You still must comply with ERSA requirements. Just because you have two VHFs or VHF plus HF plus 30 holding, you still can't ignore the instruction that it is for emergency use only.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds