Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Alternate Query

• dtrembath
  • Topic Author

dtrembath created the topic: Alternate Query

Hi all

:blink: I think I've got myself a little confused (too much thinking) ... I have been using Bob's IREX book and also unpacking the AIP statements (some new bits added 2 Jun 2011).

Here's the scenario(s) ..

ETA at destination is at 0445 and TAF indicates all above required minima ... OK for now.
However at 0500 we have a FM with SOME deteriorating weather (below minima occurring ... OPs procedures kick in .. that's OK)

1. the FM indicates conditions OK other than in INTER periods ... I assume then, that I can forgo the alternate and provide for 15 + 30 = 45 minutes holding

2. if the same occurs except we now have TEMPO (other parts of FM are OK) below minima .. I can forgo alternate and provide for 15 + 60 = 75 minutes holding.

(I understand, hopefully at least, that if INTER (below minima) are throughout a TAF then 30 min holding is OK and no alternate required ... also 60 min if TEMPO)

3. What if in 2 above TS occurred only in the INTER period ... is 45 holding still OK
( it seems like ENR 1.1 58.2.5 says so ... BUT why would you be holding in and around TS area?)

Look forward to clarification

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dtrembath
  • Topic Author

dtrembath replied the topic: Re: Alternate Query

:woohoo: Correction ... For point 3. I meant in 1. above (the INTER scenario)

• lindsay

lindsay replied the topic: Re: Alternate Query

Hey David,

Where are you getting the 15 mins from? If there is just an INTER for TS then 30 min holding would be required.

For your question why hold in a TS area: If there is a TS over the aerodrome you could hold in the area avoiding any thunderstorms until safe to land.

Lindsay

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Alternate Query

Gidday David

If you are arriving withing 30 minutes of the COMMENCEMENT of the INTER or TEMPO period you simply must comply with the requirement of the OPR which is to carry either 30 or 60 minutes holding or an alternate. There is no need to add extra holding from your ETA to the commencement time of the INTER or TEMP. That would be pointless.

I think you may be confusing it with an arrival towards the end of the INTER or TEMPO period, when you can carry holding from you ETA to 30 minutes after the end of the INTER or TEMPO period if that is less than the OPR requirement. See AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.2.8.

• dtrembath
  • Topic Author

dtrembath replied the topic: Re: Alternate Query

Hi Bob et al

:silly: Yep ... I was 'confusded' ... too much in the head ...
Is simple in the end ...
:P I was aware and understod about the late arrival bit ..

Catch you ......

David

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds